Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The winter Historical Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I hadn't read that "bigsnow" account before, thanks for sharing it Kippure, its a nice read (for snow fans).

My best winter ever would have to be '82. In those days there was no fancy truck spreading salt - its was a bunch of lads at the back of a trailer shovelling out sand onto the road as the truck moved on slowly.
    That year though even the salty sand didnt melt the snow.

Being a young fella and a snow nutter at the time I poured water onto the driveway (which was pretty steep) so i could slip down to the front door. The aul lad was not impressed to say the last - he couldn't get the car out of the driveway the next morning as a result hehe!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Kippure just to make you aware,we have the snow 63 82 and 87 etc seperate events in the links thread in the stickies on the front page of this forum [thread=2055050137]here[/thread].

Any posts refering to the above years in question,will be moved to the relevant threads there.I spent enough time going through this forum looking for posts to create them threads about those snow years to keep them together.

This thread will continue for now but if i find im starting to move too many posts i will lock this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Snowbie wrote:
    Kippure just to make you aware,we have the snow 63 82 and 87 etc seperate events in the links thread in the stickies on the front page of this forum [thread=2055050137]here[/thread].

Any posts refering to the above years in question,will be moved to the relevant threads there.I spent enough time going through this forum looking for posts to create them threads about those snow years to keep them together.

This thread will continue for now but if i find im starting to move too many posts i will lock this.

No Problem:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Longfield wrote:
    My best winter ever would have to be '82. In those days there was no fancy truck spreading salt - its was a bunch of lads at the back of a trailer shovelling out sand onto the road as the truck moved on slowly.
    That year though even the salty sand didnt melt the snow.
    Hah, you'd think they would have improved on technology, but the corporation workers in Drogheda still use that method, rather poorly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Best winter that i remember is 2000, i think. When it started snowing at around 7 or 8pm and i hadn't even noticed and was called from outside to say that it was snowing as it built up everywhere. Stayed up way later than usual playing around in it:DThat was the last snow that stuck here, and the only one i can remember, must've stuck in 93 as well though, but only being a baby at that time i can't quite remember it:p
    Longfield wrote:
    Being a young fella and a snow nutter at the time I poured water onto the driveway (which was pretty steep) so i could slip down to the front door. The aul lad was not impressed to say the last - he couldn't get the car out of the driveway the next morning as a result hehe!!
    Did the same thing a few years ago, except it involved a hose and the road out of our estate. There were a few angry neighbours the next morning:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I tried taking some ice off an area of concrete at the back door in 2001. I gave up after several kettles full of boiling water as the water kept freezing a few seconds after hitting the ground. It made the ice worse:D That particular area of ice lasted until early April, I distinctly remember.

Christmas 2004 was nice, even if the ground was barely covered. It was still a white christmas:)

Advertisement