Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

association dunno if i spelled that right

Options
  • 12-08-2007 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

ok my problem is........ i have been smoking for 3 years now..... planning on giving up 1st september..... thinking bout it for months and like not smoking doznt bother me.... i know i can handle the cravings and things like that (had an ed ignoring cravings was second nature)
    the thing that is really gonna get me is that i associate smoking with some of the best times in my life and every single ciggarette i have it reminds me of something in my past (ex boyfriends/good times with friends/holidays/my grandad) and its jus gonna be that that i will miss....

i jus realised how stupid that sounded.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

you could try reading allen carrs easy way to stop smoking? He has a chapter i think on dealing with assosiations.
    Anyways when you enjoyed those times in the past, you enjoyed them in spite of being a smoker not because of being a smoker. If that makes sense. they were obv some happy memories but if you had been a non smoker at the time i am sure you also would of enjoyed them.

Dunno if thats any help tbh, just my 2c worth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Funny, alot of the happy memories I have would have been even happier if i hadn't had a fag in my mouth for them......:o

Like when smoking on holidays, i had much less energy. I slept more but didn't wake refreshed.

So anyway I smoked a load with some red wine on Sunday night and ended up having a really bad asthma attack in the middle of the night. Hadn't had one in years. Really scared the **** outa me. So have quit cold turkey again.
    Each time i do it it's a bit easier. Have Nicorette microtabs for drink-related emergencies but want to get the nicotine out of my system as quickly as i can.

I would recommend Allen Carr, i was off them nearly a year after reading that book, it's great. Only something really stressful happened and i thought 'only one', big mistake. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 hellbell123

i think this could be a case of getting scared as the big day approaches..and it is kinda scary but the truth is once you give up everything is so much more enjoyable !

you'l be wondering why you didnt give up years ago :)

Advertisement