Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Teaching Council and PGCE registration experiences

Options
  • 12-08-2007 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Well having completed a PGCE in Swansea I have just started the process of registering with the Irish Teaching Council. I am interested in contacting people who are doing the same.

My story so far:

My college wasn't too keen on filling out the details of the course required (i.e. breakdown of components etc). I rang the TC and they said a letter outlining areas covered, together with hours of Teaching Practice directly supervised will do. Hoping to get this sooner rather than later as I have just applied for some jobs.

History of Irish education exam is next on November 24th. Heading up to Mary I here in Limerick to get some books. Any one else doing it then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Good thread! :)
    I'm working in the UK and I am starting the process this year. I expect lots of hassle and difficulties as my degree wasn't terribly clear-cut,
    involved a lot of different aspects as well as being from a UK university.

English is my subject and for my PGDE I needed a minimum of 30% English to get a place. I am hoping that will help with my Irish TC application, as I have already 'proven' the value of my degree to the same criteria (Scotland GTC have similar requirements)

I have also been probated so would be applying for recognition under EU directives for professional recognition - I am hoping this all adds up!

Wingnut, can I ask, was a transcript of your course not considered good enough for the TC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

They seem to be a bit more lienient on the phone but the website states you need the following from the PGCE uni:

A full description of the content of the various components of the education courses accompanied by a breakdown of the number of hours (divided between Lectures, Tutorials and Seminars) devoted to specific education components. The various components can be categorised as follows:
    Philosophy of Education, History of Education, General Teaching Methods including Educational Technology, Special Methods of Teaching specified subjects, Educational Psychology, Educational Sociology, Comparative Education, Curriculum Development, Educational Administration, Other Educational Components (specify)

· The schools and age ranges to which the Theoretical and Practical teacher training elements of the course were orientated

· The approximate number of hours supervised teaching practice in secondary schools and, if appropriate, other types of school (please specify)

· The subjects taught

· Confirmation that the teaching practice was directly supervised by the third-level institution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Update: Got letter + Transcript from the Uni. I have discovered that if are registered with a teaching council you can apply to the Irish Teaching council for recognition on the new EU directive. This means they are required to pay me as a fully qualified teacher until my registration has been processed and I have had a chance to make up the shortfall (i.e. history of Irish education exam).

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Wingnut, yes but be careful.
    This directive only applies to those fully registered in another EU country. If you have only just completed your PGDE, you have probationer or NQT status in the UK, this is not full registration.

Advertisement