Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advent laptop

Options
  • 12-08-2007 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Looking at a lapyop for college, writing essays and the like, internet [obviously], music files, that kind of thing. Limit is e900.

I was looking at this http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/535553

it comes in at around e779. Opinions? Or should I go for a dell? Is 1gig enough for vista?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

nope!vista is 2gig as far as i know....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

vista will run ok with with 528mb, did it for a few months
    but really need 1gb for the memory not to limit the speed of the system

so i'd say 1gb is fine, 2gb is of course better

laptop specs seem okay, if you'll be carrying it to college, i'd say look for something light, with long battery life

core 2 duo is good, harddisk bit on the small side, 128mb shared graphics(intel integrated graphics) are not very good(for games), some of dells new laptops seem to have good graphic cards are arn't too much dearer, but there seems to be a few weeks delay for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Not good value.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I'd agree with Havok.

Have a look at some of the other websites metioned in the stickies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

If you're willing to wait a few weeks the Dell Vostro laptops are very well priced. They're available on their business portal, looking at a far better machine for same price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Larry_o_C

Thanks for the advice lads.

What would ye think of this?

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iedhs1&kc=N4XESS02&l=en&oc=N08645&rbc=N08645&s=dhs&~ck=expbuy3

Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core T2080 Processor (1.73GHz,533MHz,1MB L2 cache)
    Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium - English
    1 Year Base Warranty - Collect & Return
    15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
    1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x512]
    80GB (5400rpm) SATA Hard Drive edit
    Intel® Media Accelerator 950 Graphics Up to 256MB shared graphics memory
    Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including software
    PRIMARY BATTERY 6 cell Lithium-Ion Battery (53 Whr)
    FLOPPY/MEDIA DRIVES No Floppy Drive

For e651, I think this is much better. But opinions please, did I miss out on anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ian.k

look at the dell vosto 1000, i ordered one two weeks ago, 120gig hdd with 1gig ram ,amd athlon 1.7 dual core and vista business for €480 as delivery was free. of course mine was due for delivery yesterday and according to interlink it has been "lost in transit". ya right, i live 10 miles from dell in limerick me thinks someone at interlink scored a free lappy. Stay away from dell if you can ,they screw up so many orders and delivery can be especially slow. But if you have to buy from them buy from the small business section as god forbid if you have a problem you can talk to an irish person rather than an indian if you buy from the home section.I'm not racist it's just that it's impossible to understand them. here's the one i ordered:
    http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&kc=D4XESS01&l=en&oc=N0810002&rbc=N0810002&s=bsd

take of the extra warranty and add vat

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

ian.k wrote:
    look at the dell vosto 1000, i ordered one two weeks ago, 120gig hdd with 1gig ram ,amd athlon 1.7 dual core and vista business for €480 as delivery was free. of course mine was due for delivery yesterday and according to interlink it has been "lost in transit". ya right, i live 10 miles from dell in limerick me thinks someone at interlink scored a free lappy. Stay away from dell if you can ,they screw up so many orders and delivery can be especially slow. But if you have to buy from them buy from the small business section as god forbid if you have a problem you can talk to an irish person rather than an indian if you buy from the home section.I'm not racist it's just that it's impossible to understand them. here's the one i ordered:
    http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=ie&cs=iebsdt1&kc=D4XESS01&l=en&oc=N0810002&rbc=N0810002&s=bsd

take of the extra warranty and add vat

It seems you have signed up to Boards.ie to rant about Dell. To put it in simple terms, it will not be tolerated.

Plenty of users of this forum, myself included, have ordered form Dell without problem. Given the large volume of laptops/systems they sell, a percentage will encounter problems. You were just unlucky.

tom dunne wrote:
    Plenty of users of this forum, myself included, have ordered form Dell without problem. Given the large volume of laptops/systems they sell, a percentage will encounter problems. You were just unlucky.

your'e probably right but this is my third order from them, the second was for an inspiron 6400 which i never received and had to wait 3 months for a refund. i actually signed up just to use adverts. i'm only commentating to warn larry_o_c who wants a laptop for college and as such may be deeply dissappointed if his laptop didn't arrive. i admit that i was just unlucky but if it can happen to the same person twice then how many more have had this problem. perhaps you were extremely lucky to order without a problem. I still have faith in dell as they are a good company and are currently orgainising a replacement, which i will personally collect. As far as i'm concerned it's interlink that are the problem and if it was stolen than they should screen their staff more carefully. This would not put me off dell as long as they will let me collect my order again but i definately would never trust interlink in limerick again.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

1. Can you get the Vostra 1000 with bluetooth of you ring up?

2. Is the cache of the processor (512kB) an issue to be worried abt?

3. Anyone know if the Graphics card is ok?

4. I heard the 9 cell battery sticks out of the Vostra does it?

• Advertisement

Kingkong wrote:
    1. Can you get the Vostra 1000 with bluetooth of you ring up?

2. Is the cache of the processor (512kB) an issue to be worried abt?

3. Anyone know if the Graphics card is ok?

4. I heard the 9 cell battery sticks out of the Vostra does it?

if i get mine soon i'll tell you bout the graphics and the cache. you probably could get bluetooth if you ring especially since you can talk to someone in ireland as its the business section. as for the battery i can't tell you but my e1505 (us model) (similar case to the vostro but its silver) has a 9-cell and it doesn't poke out.

Advertisement