Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice needed on purchasing weather station

Options
  • 11-08-2007 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

Hi, hope someone can help. I'm looking to buy a weather station and would appreciate some advice. I'm interested in measuring wind speeds, indoor and outdoor temps, sea temp, barometric pressure and hours of direct sun. I'm not so interested in rainfall but would consider it. I'd really like it to be as maintenance free as possible and be able to upload to an apple running mac osx10.4.9 maybe on a weekly basis. I don't really have a budget in mind but I'd certainly consider spending 500 euro or more on one suitable. also I'd like software with it that would enable me to make graphs and charts with the data.
    The most important thing is that it would pretty much run itself and that it is robustas I live on a cliff edge in the south and am regularly exposed to salt laden winds of 120kmph+.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I see you want to measure sea temp.Is this station your interested in for marine use? For installation on a boat etc.

My soil temp station probe with my VP2(vantage pro2) can measure water air and soil temp.It has a lead of 5 meters(so not good if you live on a cliff).

But VP2 or the oregon stations are best on the market for your price range.All come standard(dependeing on model)with the rain gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Snowbie wrote:
    I see you want to measure sea temp.Is this station your interested in for marine use? For installation on a boat etc.

Thanks for the reply, No not for a boat but the Irish sea is at the bottom of the cliff ( maybe 20 metres down) and I do a lot of water sports( kayaking, scuba diving, general swimming). It would be important that it is marine quality though as even the euros in my pocket rust here

The only thing i can suggest is that the soil temp station i use with my VP2 can be located away from the VP2 weather station itself.If the cliff side is accessible down to locate the seperate temp station well then problem solved.However the probe is titanium covered and i dont know if it will corrode in salty water or how long it will take for it to corrode.

This price will excede 500 as its two seperate stations but both linking to the console.
    I dont know if this is any use to you,but there is a infrared digital thermo you can get for measuring marine temp,though will not be graphed on a console,just for your own personal info.

http://enewschannels.com/2007/03/31/enc1065_054118.php

Thanks snowbie, Ill look into that one is the VP2 compatible with OSX do you think?

Yep but you need to buy a datalogger seperate to transfere your data from console to your mac.Fits into expansion port on the back of VP2 console.
    Nb:Its all expensive

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06520

and also the soil/water/air temp station is again seperate to the weather station itself.

• Advertisement

Again. thanks.

Advertisement