Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packard Bell Laptop Booting problems

Options
  • 11-08-2007 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

howaya,

in the last week or so, my packard bell laptop (about 2-3 years old at the moment) hasnt been starting up problem. when i start it, it asks me to boot from floppy, cd-rom, or hard disk. i've tried the 3 options and none of them work, they only bring me back to the same screen asking me the 3 options again. the problem has arisen since i installed norton 2007 on it, so i stuck the norton disk back into it, and (in yellow) it asked me to boot from cd-rom or hard disk, but guess what, neither work and neither let me start the computer properly. i've tried pressing F8 to do a system restore but its not coming up...

has anybody got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Does "Norton 2007" incude GoBack or anything similar?
    Had it rebooted OK since installing the software or was this the first time you rebooted?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭massivemagumbos

yea its the Norton Internet Security so it has all that built in, but i cant access it becuz the system wont boot up at all. i installed a webcam on 2 laptops, whose driver totally messed up both laptops. on my newer laptop i could press F8 and restore from a last healthy configuration but on this older laptop its not giving me this option. shud i have a windows reboot cd or something? cuz it came preinstalled on the laptop. they are both running on XP

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Normally PB laptops come with the PB recovery program, or failing that maybe you made a bootable recovery disc yourself?
    I have a 2 year old PB easynote F527. Memory wasn't the greatest as standard on it. Loaded up Norton security 2005 & it caused me endless problems. In the end i just loaded the recovery program to wipe the hard drive & start from scratch. Got extra 256 DDR memory from PC world & that cured it. If you don't have at least 512MB min for the laptop forget about reloading Norton or the webcams. Cause i think if it's the same chipset that was in mine (SIS) then it's not capable.

If you've already upgraded the memory, then i'll retreat politely into a corner:confused:

heya thanks, the laptop itself is the Easynote K8285 i think, got pentium 4 2.8ghz processor and 512mb RAM - it was top of the range at the time and cost upwards of 2300euro. still havent got it working, cant find a recovery disk, and i dont wanna wipe the hard disk cuz i've got photos i cant replace on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

Hmm.. since it a PB i assume you got it in one of DSGs shops(Currys, Dixons etc.). Fraid you might have to bring it back to them for a tech consult. It's about 150 euro. Unless you have an extended warranty??

Think thats the only solution...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Can you enter safe mode and try un installing Norton from there and see what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

i have an advent same probs seems like xp is the BAD guy

i havent tried fixing it. I bought it in compustore RIGHT BEFORE it went bust so i'm glad i didnt get any extended warranty. i'm thinking of cutting my losses so i was just wondering does anybody know a way of getting the information from the hard disk? usb or something. its just photographs and documents i'm interested in. any ideas?

Advertisement