Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop Bags - Obsolete Airline Hand-luggage?

Options
  • 11-08-2007 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,977 ✭✭✭✭

Obsessed with keeping all of my valuable stuff, including laptop, with me at all times, I bought a wheeled laptop bag a couple of years ago. It served me well on a couple of airline trips. Last year, I decided to get something bigger and better, to cram even more stuff in! Although my Dell laptop isn't a widescreen, I decided to go for a Targa widescreen bag, shipped in from Germany. Very nice bag and loads of space.

I booked a flight to Prague through Aer Lingus and everything went pear-shaped. 6kg hand-luggage restriction!!! The Targa bag weighed 5kg empty!!!

In the end, I took my laptop in a cheap-jack plastic laptop bag. I had to put the power adaptor into my missus' hand-luggage as this would have taken even the flimsy bag over the limit - crazy!

Hand-luggage wasn't weighed at any point through Cork or Prague airports, so the restriction, on my flights, wasn't enforced.

So, it seems to me that you're allowed 6kg in theory, but you can take as much as you like as long as it will fit in the overhead rack, without you having to bust a gut getting it in there.

Anyone know the truth of the matter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

im going to be in a similar possition going away next week

• Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think my dad when boarding on a recent flight the flight attendant asked to feel how heavy his carry on luggage was. So it seems they might check if they think bags are too heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Never had hand luggage checked for weight. It is a handy way if you are over limit on your main baggage, put the heavier items into hand baggage.

I think you might be able to take a laptop in addition to cabin baggage, you mighe need a standard laptop bag or brief case.

This was mainly on flights to the US.

Not sure what the story is with ryanair or aerlingus for european flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

dingding wrote:
    Never had hand luggage checked for weight. It is a handy way if you are over limit on your main baggage, put the heavier items into hand baggage.

I think you might be able to take a laptop in addition to cabin baggage, you mighe need a standard laptop bag or brief case.

This was mainly on flights to the US.

Not sure what the story is with ryanair or aerlingus for european flights.

Yeah get a small bag/carrier for your laptop and you can bring that on seperately. I had all my luggage in a small wheel on bag and then a small bag for my laptop. You just explain its a laptop at the desk and take it out at security.

Advertisement