Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

under-grad grades?

Options
  • 10-08-2007 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey everyone!
    I was just wondering about applying for master's...for all the one's I've been looking at, I need to get a 2:1 aswell as submit full transcripts. I'm hoping if I just really knuckle down this year, I'll get the 2:1, but the thing is my transcripts wouldn't be up to scratch at all (although I never actually failed any exams)
    I was just wondering, when I'm applying and I say that I'm predicting a 2:1 but they look at my transcript results, will they automatically dismiss me as a candidate?:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

com21 wrote:
    Hey everyone!
    I was just wondering about applying for master's...for all the one's I've been looking at, I need to get a 2:1 aswell as submit full transcripts. I'm hoping if I just really knuckle down this year, I'll get the 2:1, but the thing is my transcripts wouldn't be up to scratch at all (although I never actually failed any exams)
    I was just wondering, when I'm applying and I say that I'm predicting a 2:1 but they look at my transcript results, will they automatically dismiss me as a candidate?:rolleyes:

No I don't that they will automatically dismiss you. Usually they issue you with a provisional place and then it depends on your results at to whether or not they offer you a full acceptance. There are other things that they take into account like your references and your ability to secure funds.

If you're transcripts aren't fantastic then you will probably be ranked against the other candidates. Depends on how many places there are and how many applicants there are too.

My mum works in a university and she regularly tells me that once you have the basics they aren't too bothered cos you are paying fees.

If (touch wood) that you don't get a 2.1 then I would recommend you working in a field similar to the area that the masters is. Work experience plus employer references will help them get past the lack of 2.1

But hopefully that won't be an issue!

Good luck with the results!

ps just out of curiosity what is the masters in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 com21

Maybe international relations..something along those lines...

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

Is that the one in DCU? Was considering doing it part time but its on Fridays from 2.30-8 not very helpful if you work full time!

Why don't you ring the programme office and explain your situation to them? They'll probably be able to tell you if your transcripts count for everything and if they do would working in a related field help?

International relations is very helpful for jobs in the civil service, public service, commercial banks, non-governmental organisations.

Pretty much every job has an international element to it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Electric wrote:
    Is that the one in DCU? Was considering doing it part time but its on Fridays from 2.30-8 not very helpful if you work full time!

Why don't you ring the programme office and explain your situation to them? They'll probably be able to tell you if your transcripts count for everything and if they do would working in a related field help?

International relations is very helpful for jobs in the civil service, public service, commercial banks, non-governmental organisations.

Pretty much every job has an international element to it

I know some one who did that and she found it tough. If you dont have a job that will give you the time off you'll struggle going to classes and handing in reports etc

Advertisement