Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting In South Dublin

Options
  • 10-08-2007 6:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi all, long time reader first time poster.

Im looking to start target shooting (.22 rifle), but I'm trying to figure out where I can do it. I was at Hilltop earlier on today, and the facilities are fine, but it's miles from me. I live about 5 minutes from UCD. Does any one know of a range nearer to me? Im not a student in UCD or Trinity, but is there any way to use their ranges?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi Alan,

you are looking for .22 target? UCD has air rifle/pistol ranges but no range for .22. Also I think the reason why UCD can only accept students and staff of the Uni as members on the range is due to insurance policy.

Best,
    Preusse

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

If you're not affiliated with TCD or UCD then Rathdrum is probably the closest to you if you're down in south Dublin. Check out rathdrumrpc.org - they do .22 at 25m and 10m air rifle/pistol. Plenty of info on their site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭alan_simon

I am hoping to do 22 target, yh. Rathdrum does seem to be the closest one, but I've heard of a club up in Ballinteer, which is only a 15 minute cycle from me. Has any one else heard of it? I looked for a website for it, but no joy.

On another note, as a newb to the sport, it sure as hell is hard work tryin to get into it! For a city boy like myself, it's not exactly accessible.

Cheers any ways for the help guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

alan_simon wrote:
    I am hoping to do 22 target, yh. Rathdrum does seem to be the closest one, but I've heard of a club up in Ballinteer, which is only a 15 minute cycle from me. Has any one else heard of it? I looked for a website for it, but no joy.

On another note, as a newb to the sport, it sure as hell is hard work tryin to get into it! For a city boy like myself, it's not exactly accessible.

Cheers any ways for the help guys.

I think BRC are closed for membership. At least that's what I heard when someone on here enquired a good while ago. And they're not in Ballinteer anyway, they are based in Bohernabreena. The Ballinteer name was dropped many years ago (at that time it was a club without a range). They are now called BRC Sporting Club.

The difficulty with shooting is you need a fair bit of space. Not exactly easy to come by in a city with exorbitant property prices:(

There's a train station in Rathdrum :D

rrpc wrote:
    There's a train station in Rathdrum :D

Well it looks like I could be joining Rathdrum in the near future:) (assuming I get accepted by the club, that is.)

But is it legal to carry rifles on public transport? I can just imagine it now...

'What's in the bag son?'...

• Advertisement

I know it's not allowed on Dublin Bus, but I'm not sure about the train. AFAIK it's OK so long as it's in a case of some kind, I recall other people travelling to Rathdrum by train to shoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I know DURC lads used to get the train down to shoot in RRPC, but usually someone took the kit by car. It's the whole legal grey area crap again - there's a 1960s road traffic act that said you couldn't take "offensive weapons" by public transport (which included buses and taxis) but trains aren't mentioned. The 1990 offensive weapons act could be used (abused, really) to cause hassle for someone carrying a cased rifle, but you'd really have to run into a bored Garda and tick them off to get that dumped on your head.
    Wish there was a clearer answer (preferably a "yes, if it's cased, it's fine" one...)

it'd be just my luck to run into a bored garda. I'm going to be abroad for the next 3 weeks, so I guess the best course of action is to head down to Rathdrum to check out the range. The sensible course of action and so on. So RRPC, you can expect a booking from a novice called Alan Simon in the near future:)

Cheers for all your help guys, I look forward to running the legal gauntlet with the guards vis a vis the Rifle Transportation.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭freddieot

Alan, you won't be appraoched by anyone unless what you are carrying is obviously a rifle case and\or has shooting stickers all over it etc.

A .22 rifle will fit in a lot of carrying cases. Have you considered some sort of musical instrument case (guitar or keyboard). Then you can buy some foam in one of the shops in Capel street and do a nice set up for your rifle. Alternatively, what about some form of golf bag. I've used both methods very successfully down the years. Where I lived for many years, most of my neighbours thought I was in a band ! Never any hassle !

The hard cases also give great protection fro your pride and joy. Downside is that it makes it more bulky and heavy than a gunslip.

freddieot

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

freddieot wrote:
    Where I lived for many years, most of my neighbours thought I was in a band ! Never any hassle !

freddieot

Great idea (seriously :cool: ), but what do you do at the range when you show up and have brought your cello by mistake :D:D

• Advertisement

You could just get one of the gunguard cases. Available in black and are very sturdy. There are a couple of models for 1 or more rifles, although the two rifle case is actually the best for a target rifle as there is plenty of room for all the bits.

Also look like an instrument case, so no need to bring the cello :D

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

alan_simon wrote:
    But is it legal to carry rifles on public transport? I can just imagine it now...

'What's in the bag son?'...

I remember looking up the various laws and rules and regs a while back for travelling to RRPC from DURC.

From what I can remember the only thing that prevents you from bringing a rifle on the train is the Iarnród Éireann Bye Laws which I can´t currently find on their website.

Luckily that day we were able to fit all of the kit in a car so we didn´t have to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

IRLConor wrote:
    Luckily that day we were able to fit all of the kit in a car so we didn´t have to find out.

Sounds like the op does not drive. Is shooting only a sport for people that can drive?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I don´t drive either so I know how irritating it is. Luckily I can shoot in DURC with a club rifle and I´m seriously in debt favour-wise to the likes of Sparks for lifts to competitions.

I rent where I live and the odds on getting both the landlord and the local supernintendo to let me get my own rifle is pretty much zero. Is shooting a sport only for those who own their own homes? :) Talk about a high cost of entry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mr. Gun

With regards to traveling on public transport with firearms, forget the byelaws etc.. no bus/train driver is ever going to ask you whats in your bag, even if it is rifle shaped. Its quite possible that such laws relate to overtly carrying a firearm so if yours is in a case etc.. who's going to know any different!

OK worst case scenario driver twigs that you have a rifle in a case/bag and calls the cops, so what... your license (signed and stamped by the Gardai) states that you can use, possess and carry it. So once you have the license with you and the gun isnt loaded and you are going to the range etc.. there should be no problem. The Gardai have already publicly acknowledged that there is little they can do if license holders decide to carry their guns (pistols) on their person.

wow im getting the feeling this is a much discussed problem! But I imagine if I do start shooting in Rathdrum i'll have to get a car, as the train is somethin like 14 euro return. Which, when factured in with all the other costs associated with the shooting, is a little steep.

Again, I can't thank you guys enough for the help and advice.

It mightn't be that expensive if you take a Dart to Greystones and the train from there, but you'd have to check the timetables/fares to be sure. I think the student fare from Greystones is €4.

The other thing to do is link up with another member who has a car and get a lift with them when they are coming. I know a few members of Rathdrum do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

IRLConor wrote:
    I don´t drive either so I know how irritating it is. Luckily I can shoot in DURC with a club rifle and I´m seriously in debt favour-wise to the likes of Sparks for lifts to competitions.
    No, not really. I mean, I got lifts from other alumni club members when I wasn't driving, and they got lifts from people before them. It's a pay-it-forward sort of thing, so hurry up and get your car and make sure it's a volkzwagon transporter :D
    Mr. Gun wrote:
    With regards to traveling on public transport with firearms, forget the byelaws etc.. no bus/train driver is ever going to ask you whats in your bag, even if it is rifle shaped. Its quite possible that such laws relate to overtly carrying a firearm so if yours is in a case etc.. who's going to know any different!

OK worst case scenario driver twigs that you have a rifle in a case/bag and calls the cops, so what... your license (signed and stamped by the Gardai) states that you can use, possess and carry it. So once you have the license with you and the gun isnt loaded and you are going to the range etc.. there should be no problem. The Gardai have already publicly acknowledged that there is little they can do if license holders decide to carry their guns (pistols) on their person.
    Of all the daft, irresponsible things to be recommending. Look, just because it's unlikely you'd be caught doesn't mean it's legal. And if you think your licence lets you carry your firearm in a public place, go read the 1990 Offensive Weapons act and see what carries more weight; law or the wording on a form that someone did up on a lazy sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

IRLConor wrote:
    I rent where I live and the odds on getting both the landlord and the local supernintendo to let me get my own rifle is pretty much zero. Is shooting a sport only for those who own their own homes? :) Talk about a high cost of entry...

I know plenty of tenants with thier own firearms that had no problems with the licensing. Dont think I have heard of anyone actually being asked before either, anyone else come across thsi:confused:

To O.P.: Members of any club would be glad of the company (someone to talk guns with!) for the run to the range so you shouldnt be short of lifts.

Sparks, I believe it boils down to intent (i.e. I carrying my firearm to the range versus I thought I would go for a few pints and a ramble up the town with my .357:) ) though correctly, who wants to have to be the one to establish this on front of the bench!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

I had to put pen to paper and just say this that people should not say that the membership of the BRC shooting club is closed due to the fact that we take in members all the time so Alan if you are still interested in joining a club thats in dublin and closer to you contact Henry Lee at BRC <phone number snipped, see wiki for contact details (look in the Important Information sticky at the top of the Shooting forum)>, furthermore would persons not belonging to our club stop refering to us as a closed club.

• Advertisement

syconerd wrote:
    I had to put pen to paper and just say this that people should not say that the membership of the BRC shooting club is closed due to the fact that we take in members all the time so Alan if you are still interested in joining a club thats in dublin and closer to you contact Henry Lee at BRC on <mod snip>, furthermore would persons not belonging to our club stop refering to us as a closed club.

Apologies for that syconerd, I was referring to a post some time ago where someone had enquired and was told that the club was closed to new members.

It's very difficult to get up to date information as BRC doesn't have a website or email address (of which I'm aware) to which we can direct enquiries and apart from yourself I'm unaware of any other members of the club posting here.

Would you be willing to take such requests here by PM or otherwise? I could also put an email link on the links page of the Rathdrum site and possibly the NTSA one as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭BOBTHESHOOTER

syconerd wrote:
    I had to put pen to paper and just say this that people should not say that the membership of the BRC shooting club is closed due to the fact that we take in members all the time so Alan if you are still interested in joining a club thats in dublin and closer to you contact Henry Lee at BRC on <mod snip>, furthermore would persons not belonging to our club stop refering to us as a closed club.

Not wanting to cause a stink, but I have heard of several people being told that membership in BRC was closed in the last three years or more. Can sconerd mention how many new members have joined BRC in the last five years and it would be interesting for Alan to tell of his experience when he gets into BRC!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

Apologies for that syconerd, I was referring to a post some time ago where someone had enquired and was told that the club was closed to new members.

It's very difficult to get up to date information as BRC doesn't have a website or email address (of which I'm aware) to which we can direct enquiries and apart from yourself I'm unaware of any other members of the club posting here.

Would you be willing to take such requests here by PM or otherwise? I could also put an email link on the links page of the Rathdrum site and possibly the NTSA one as well.

I would like it if you would post these email addresses in this order,
    Personally i dont mind if anyone wants to contact me as a contact for BRC as I will pass it on to committee.

brcshootingclub@gmail.com The BRC shooting clubs email

syconerd wrote:
    brcshootingclub@gmail.com The BRC shooting clubs email

<mod snip>

I'll post the first two. The chances are that Henry will continue on till they nail the lid down :D, so even if he retires as secretary I'd expect he'd still answer emails.

wow, cheers everyone for all the help. I'm to contact Mr. Lee about membership some stage this week, so i'll let ya'll know how it goes! Considering i'm completely new to the sport, I don't know if Mr. Lee will be too eager to accept me as a member, but ill fill you all in shortly.

Cheers again for the all the help guys, you've helped one youngster get into shooting any ways!

Hey guys, I know I left this a bit late, but what with one thing or another I havent had the time to tell y'all

For anyone who is interested, I've been accepted as a member of BRC, and started my probationary period today. Membership is not closed, contrary to popular belief, and there's quite a few people down there.

Anyways, I was just writing to let you know. I should be on again shortly with questions about which rifle is best:)

alan

alan_simon wrote: »
    Hey guys, I know I left this a bit late, but what with one thing or another I havent had the time to tell y'all

For anyone who is interested, I've been accepted as a member of BRC, and started my probationary period today. Membership is not closed, contrary to popular belief, and there's quite a few people down there.

Anyways, I was just writing to let you know. I should be on again shortly with questions about which rifle is best:)

alan

Great stuff Alan! Welcome to the fold. :)

Know a good few of the lads there, all decent chaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 le_Chacal

Not wanting to cause a stink, but I have heard of several people being told that membership in BRC was closed in the last three years or more. Can sconerd mention how many new members have joined BRC in the last five years and it would be interesting for Alan to tell of his experience when he gets into BRC!!!

bob the shooter are you off again. this is the second club in the south dublin that you have slagged off. could it be you were dumped from this club aswell.

alan brc is a good club run by good people. thats whats wroung with the crank dec***:(

Advertisement