Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to report landlord??

Options
  • 10-08-2007 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi Guys,

Fell out with shady landlord after he refused to give me his personal details to claim back rent relief. He said I was getting cheap rent and that if I was going to claim rent relief he would increase my rent. Things got worse after this and I'm now moving out.

Just wanted to know how I would go about reporting him for not disclosing his rental income to the tax man? Only worry is that I have no receipts as I paid him in cash each month?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

I had a the same problem about 2 years ago. I waited until I moved out and then filled out a Rent1 form for the 2 calendar years I was living there. I filled in the landlords name and address ( I was living in the house with him) but not his PPS number which I didn't have. I also sent a cover note saying that I did not have any receipts as I had paid him in cash and that I had not signed a lease. I got a call from a nice man in the tax office who asked me a few questions and said he'd sort it out. He sent me my refund a few weeks later.

Obviously I wouldn't have done this while I was still living there and it helped that it was the guys primary residence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Feng Shui

eve wrote:
    I had a the same problem about 2 years ago. I waited until I moved out and then filled out a Rent1 form for the 2 calendar years I was living there. I filled in the landlords name and address ( I was living in the house with him) but not his PPS number which I didn't have. I also sent a cover note saying that I did not have any receipts as I had paid him in cash and that I had not signed a lease. I got a call from a nice man in the tax office who asked me a few questions and said he'd sort it out. He sent me my refund a few weeks later.

Obviously I wouldn't have done this while I was still living there and it helped that it was the guys primary residence.

I just read on PRTB website that landlords who are resident of the dwellings do not have to register with the PRTB. Does that mean he/she is not subject to pay tax on their rental income?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Feng Shui wrote:
    I just read on PRTB website that landlords who are resident of the dwellings do not have to register with the PRTB. Does that mean he/she is not subject to pay tax on their rental income?

They still have to declare it. They can claim a certain about of tax back but it has to be declared as part of earning.

I would still go ahead with the above suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

Under the Rent a Room Scheme a resident landlord can earn up to approx €7,620 and not pay any tax on it. He also does not fall under the rules of the PRTB. However, if a landlord earns more than this amount in rent he is taxed on the full amount. As said above, irrespective of the fact that the rent may be less than RARS limit it must still be delclared to the Revenue Commissioners.

Under the Rent a Room Scheme a resident landlord can earn up to approx €7,200 and not pay any tax on it. He also does not fall under the rules of the PRTB. However, if a landlord earns more than this amount in rent he is taxed on the full amount. As said above, irrespective of the fact that the rent may be less than RARS limit it must still be delclared to the Revenue Commissioners.

So is it still possible to report him? I don't have any rent reciepts either. How would I go about it? And what would happen to the landlord?

He has all my details so I don't want him to chase me down and try to get back at me for reporting him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

If you inform Revenue of the situation and they deduce that his rental income is more than €7620 then he will have to pay tax on that. AFAIK if the amount is less than the limit, reporting him will cause him a bit of hassle, but he still won't be liable for tax.

I think the rent I paid does not exceed the RARS threshold. The limit is €7620 and I pay €630 a month so that works out to €7560 a year, so maybe I have no case to report him then? But I also contributed towards gas and electricity bills each month. Does this not count as rental income aswell? I have no receipts for bills either and rent I paid for the year is below the limit so very hard for the revenue to prosecute him? Also can he say that I moved out after 10 months and that I wasn't there for a full year and rental income was below the limit?

I just want to know the full details before I go report him as this it might not be worth my time and effort and it could possibly come back and bite me in the ass!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Feng Shui wrote:
    But I also contributed towards gas and electricity bills each month. Does this not count as rental income aswell?

No.
    Bills are living expenses they are nothing to do with your rent. They are also not rental income for the landlord as the money is going to the company (e.g ESB) not to the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

If he's also earning money from other tenants, he'll be over the limit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

BC wrote:
    Bills are living expenses they are nothing to do with your rent. They are also not rental income for the landlord as the money is going to the company (e.g ESB) not to the landlord.

I thought that all money received (rent, esb, phone etc) counted towards the €7620 rent-a-room relief limit?
    Revenue leaflet IT70

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Regardless of whether or not the landlord is earning in excess of the allowed limit, you are still entitled to tax relief.

Just fill in the form, with all the details that you can supply. You don't have to know the landlord's PPS number, as the Revenue can supply that themselves.

Tax relief for renting is worth up to ~€300 per annum, so you should be entitled to some bit of a refund.

Advertisement