Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ordering an inspiron 1721

Options
  • 10-08-2007 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know if there is a delay with ordering these laptops or was that just when they started selling them?

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Ordered mine on the 3 rd of Aug and ETA is 29th.
    It did say that by choosing any other colour than black or white would delay order by 20 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

There's a 6 week delay from the time of order. The colour ordered doesn't matter. It's a delay across all their new models.

I ordered an XPS 1330 on 11/07/07, expected delivery 03/08/07. That was pushed back to 14/08/07 and now it's been delayed until 26/09/07. I'm cancelling it Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

kaizersoze wrote:
    There's a 6 week delay from the time of order. The colour ordered doesn't matter. It's a delay across all their new models.

I ordered an XPS 1330 on 11/07/07, expected delivery 03/08/07. That was pushed back to 14/08/07 and now it's been delayed until 26/09/07. I'm cancelling it Monday.
    That's poor. I was looking at that model laptop too but I can't hang around waiting weeks for it, want to start using it NOW! Not sure what is going at Dell at the moment but they seem to have ****ed up somewhere along the line: inspirons, vostros, xps laptops are practically all on delayed orders of 4 to 6 weeks.

art wrote:
    That's poor. I was looking at that model laptop too but I can't hang around waiting weeks for it, want to start using it NOW! Not sure what is going at Dell at the moment but they seem to have ****ed up somewhere along the line: inspirons, vostros, xps laptops are practically all on delayed orders of 4 to 6 weeks.
    Poor is right. I'm now looking at the HP tablet (http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4HJ0&CategorySelectedId=11105&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11105,50240) instead.

:) I'm off looking at dabs site too! - some really good value there, and loads of choice, just trying to decide on one now: eg the Sony Vaio laptops seem very well priced... but definitely not going to bother hanging around waiting on Dell.

• Advertisement

kaizersoze wrote:

Your not serious, I ffs.
    The second mine is pushed backed I m cancelling.

Any idea how to do that without ringing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Ring them and ask the reasons for this,

I promise you won't be able to guess the reason before calling them
    They told me its due to... wait for it... "A World shortage of Glass" Heh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ordered my xps thursday 9th of august.
    was told the shipping date was the 16th of august.

checked the order status an hour ago.

it was shipped friday the 10th of august :)
    ill have it in the morning!

dell 1 - everything else 0

• Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

WellyJ wrote:
    Ring them and ask the reasons for this,

I promise you won't be able to guess the reason before calling them
    They told me its due to... wait for it... "A World shortage of Glass" Heh

seems reasonable enough, really just manufacture and supply not meeting demand... thought this was an interesting article from last year how the industry works and predicting an "artifical" shortage
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/06/13/79145_25OPreality_1.html
    another article on current supply problems
    http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=44614&cid=6

ordered my xps thursday 9th of august.
    was told the shipping date was the 16th of august.

checked the order status an hour ago.

it was shipped friday the 10th of august :)
    ill have it in the morning!

dell 1 - everything else 0
    Thats my usual experience with Dell and I buy alot from them. This is my first delayed delivery and it won't stop me buying from them again.This one was for myself though and I need one asap. As I said it only seems to be affecting the new models. You got a 1710 which is an older model.
    art wrote:
    I'm off looking at dabs site too! - some really good value there, and loads of choice, just trying to decide on one now: eg the Sony Vaio laptops seem very well priced... but definitely not going to bother hanging around waiting on Dell.
    Good value alright. I had a look at the HP today in Cantec, Athlone just to get a feel for the size/weight. They were nearly E500 dearer than Dabs. Now I was expecting maybe 200 of a difference but 500.:eek:
    When I mentioned the difference to they guy there he said "Oh, I'd never buy anything like that online. It's too risky".:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ok i probably wont be cancelling. Looking around other websites and is kinda hard to get the same deal as I got with Dell.

What can we do i guess only wait it out.

From that link above it does appear they ve started selling a product they werent ready to sell.

I ordered a Sony Vaio last night from Dabs - some really good value there, T7100 chip, 8400GT graphics, 160 GB HDD, 2GB RAM and a "dual lamp" 15.4 screen that has to be seen to be believed. Also comes with some nice software, eg full version of Photoshop Elements. All in stock too so should have it by the end of the week/early next week.

art wrote:
    I ordered a Sony Vaio last night from Dabs - some really good value there, T7100 chip, 8400GT graphics, 160 GB HDD, 2GB RAM and a "dual lamp" 15.4 screen that has to be seen to be believed. Also comes with some nice software, eg full version of Photoshop Elements. All in stock too so should have it by the end of the week/early next week.
    I ordered the HP Tablet from them yesterday. The status is still 'awaiting security check'. Emailed them this morning but haven't got a reply yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

I ordered the 1721 when it was just released on the 3rd of July, initial delivery was for 3 weeks but the day before it was due to be delivered it got pushed back to mid August. A few days later i checked back on Dells website and it had been posted ! So i woudn't rely too much on their order status !!

Great Laptop btw !

kaizersoze wrote:
    I ordered the HP Tablet from them yesterday. The status is still 'awaiting security check'. Emailed them this morning but haven't got a reply yet.
    I'm awaiting security check too - says on the site that this status means: "Your order is in a queue of orders which are awaiting security checks on the details you have provided to us."

Not sure what that really means as there is a separate status for checking credit card details etc

Anyhow, I've bought from (and returned to!) dabs before and they do (in my experience) answer emails but it can take a whole day before they get back to you. Let's know what answer they give you if/when they get around to it ...

(and apologies to the OP for hi-jacking the thread but as he hasn't reappeared since ...! :) )

The status on my order has now changed to "awaiting email response ..." - and indeed they've sent me an email requesting confirmation of some details like delivery address, contact phone no etc.

art wrote:
    The status on my order has now changed to "awaiting email response ..." - and indeed they've sent me an email requesting confirmation of some details like delivery address, contact phone no etc.
    I got that aswell. Had to send them address and phone numbers again eventhough they have them already and the card has been verified by Visa.:rolleyes: Pita.
    Only for I'm stuck I'd tell them to stick it.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Thats my usual experience with Dell and I buy alot from them. This is my first delayed delivery and it won't stop me buying from them again.This one was for myself though and I need one asap. As I said it only seems to be affecting the new models. You got a 1710 which is an older model.
    QUOTE]

might be an older model, but i dont like the new model design and look. prefer the 1710 model :)

[might be an older model, but i dont like the new model design and look. prefer the 1710 model :)

Ah no, don't get me wrong. The 1710 is a nice machine. I was just making the point that the delays were only affecting the newer models.

• Advertisement

true. my dad wants to get the vostro. his company are willing to remove the vat for him but he cant wait 5 weeks for it as its for work. shame really as its an amazing machine.
    i think he's looking into a 1721. but he likes mine so we will see.

spoke to dell today and they said the delay is building up more and more as people are ordering them faster than they can get them in stock. looks like the que is getting bigger for the vostro and 1721!

art wrote:
    Got another email from them today looking for the same details again so that was enough for me. 2 and a half days to verify a card that had already been verified by Visa and and address that is used with dozens of online retailers without a problem. They still hadn't cleared the order at 4pm today so I cancelled it and got it locally. Same day dispatch my arse.
    Anywho, I'm using it now and seriously impressed.:D

Canceled mine yesterday as they seemed to be acting the bollox.
    If they were ready to ship these laptops they shouldnt have advertised them.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Got another email from them today looking for the same details again so that was enough for me. 2 and a half days to verify a card that had already been verified by Visa and and address that is used with dozens of online retailers without a problem. They still hadn't cleared the order at 4pm today so I cancelled it and got it locally. Same day dispatch my arse.
    Anywho, I'm using it now and seriously impressed.:D

I didn't have any problems really, sent a reply to the original email, nothing happened for several hours so I queried it and that seemed to kick things off, was sent almost immediately after - status went to complete and delivery note with tracking info emailed. Still hasn't arrived mind ...

Advertisement