Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some questions about IRCSET

Options
  • 09-08-2007 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody!

I have just applied for the IRCSET second round. I am aware there are only 50 places available and am trying to figure out if I have a chance!

I was looking at the first round results and found out (from talking to people aswell) that there were 180 successful grads and only about 12 or so had 2.1 degrees.

Does that mean out of the people (400 or so???) that appied, there were 168 firsts and they got funding, and then they took the next best 12 2.1 degrees and they got the funding?

What I am TRYING to ask is, if you get a first and put together a reasonably decent application, is there a good chance I will get funding ??

Also, some one said there maybe 3 rounds of IRCSET is that true??

Any advice is appreciated!!

Neil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Its really difficult to predict possibilities of a 2nd round IRCSET offer. As a general rule for 1st round, a good first (good 3rd years results also helps) and a good proposal is the two main factors. So I suspect they will use the same for 2nd round.
    IMHO, who your supervisor is makes a differences – ie. are they an SFI PI. This shouldn’t count, but I suspect it does, based on past observations.
    Also, some one said there maybe 3 rounds of IRCSET is that true??
    Never has been before and they have not told the universities of this, so I doubt its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

What is SFI PI??

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) Principal Investigator (PI) award. Usually seen as prestigious and an indicator of good track record… yeah right… SFI is not biased of course ;)

I dont know if he is i must check that out. He did say his last 2 phd students who graduate this year were IRCSET funded.

Do you know how long you usually wait to hear whether you got it or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

Not so sure about the second round myself but for the first round I was waiting for about two months. I would presume that this second round results will be out in about one month.

Why not send an E-mail to IRCSET and they can answer all your queries.

As regards being in a good position to get an IRCSET award the second round does tend to be harder than the first, due to the reduced number of positions and the fact that all college results for final year students are out, so there could be more 1st class students that didn't apply to the first round as they felt that they didn't stand a chance (I know of a few who felt like this!) but ar e now in a strong position to get funding.

I know for certain from alot of PhD students who are on an IRCSET award that it all depends on your personal statement and your references. Assuming you applied to the first round I'm sure you know about the scoring system already.

What you study is also a major factor, they dont tend to pump too much money into biochemical subjects while physics, chemistry, maths and engineering are more likely to get the funding. This is quite obvious from the first round offers.

Best of luck in it man, the deadline is now passed so I hope you have your documents submitted! :)

• Advertisement

ye got the documents in there the day before closing.

The more I think about it, it is a long shot really to get funding. My study will be in Computer Science/Software Engineering (in between) so I know that dont have that good of a chance to get it but you never know.

Its a pity they dont give interviews! but then again interviewing 4-500 ppl wouldnt be too easy.

Long shot but I hope I get it!!

thanks for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭scitpo

Its a mix of everything although in saying that most people I know who got it have firsts. Then again when they offer you the award they don't know that at teh time so its your transcripts they go on.

Personal statement as well I feel got it for me. If you get to know SFI then you find out they want to hear how your work will benefit the country. Just talk your proposed project up.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

That's what I heard too. It's a bit ridiculous really - but if you write something like you want to be a Nobel Laureate they'll let you in.

Advertisement