Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renewal of a provisional after a few years of not driving.

Options
  • 09-08-2007 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I hope someone can clear up what i need to do to get this sorted, i have been looking online to try and find awnsers to some of these questions but have so far been unable.

I am looking to renew my prov licence, i have not been driving for a number of years but but now due to work commitments i need to start again. It was my second licence that i had, i sat my test about 2-3 years ago and i need to find proof of this. I have searched for info on how to do this but i have been unable. I know there is a number i can ring, does anybody know what it is? Also, will i have to start again on my first prov liscence due to the fact that i have not had one in so long? Another problem i have is that i have no idea where my old licence is. This is going to be a pain, and i should of sorted out ages ago, but i dont need a car now that i live in town and cycle everywere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Ring your local Motor Tax Office and explain the situation to them. If you have lost the old licence it will have to be replaced, although after 2-3 years you may need to start over on a first if you did not pass the test.

You don't say what provisional licence you were on and if you passed the test or not. If you ring the Motor Tax Office and explain the situation to them they will let you know exactly what you need to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You will only go back to square one if you most recent licence has expired by more that 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Hey,

This would be number 3, and i failed my last test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

The proof you're looking for is the failure cert and you ring Ballina if you want a copy of that. I don't know the number off the top of my head but I don't think it will help you anyway because it was that long ago but I'll get back to you on that.

If it is too late to use that cert you'll just have to apply for the test again. Once you get your official confirmation letter you can submit that to get your 3rd. You will need a D8a stamped by the guards to say your previous licence is lost. You could well need to submit original photo ID (passport) for identification purposes too.

EDIT: Yeah, it's only valid for 2 years.

Advertisement