Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[PR] Luas CCTV: Keeping Passengers Safe

Options
  • 08-08-2007 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.luas.ie/ul/101.doc
    Luas CCTV: Keeping Passengers Safe

This summer Luas launched a CCTV awareness campaign.

Information on board the trams and at the stops is making passengers aware of Luas CCTV Security measures.

The campaign makes Luas passengers feel safe and deters anti-social behaviour. Passengers feel more secure when they know there is someone looking out for them.

Luas is a very safe and enjoyable form of public transport. Veolia Transport, operator of the Luas has a strong commitment to passenger safety and works closely with the Gardaí sharing information and Luas CCTV footage for use in prosecutions.

This campaign will run during the summer months and will incorporate semi permanent CCTV notices on all trams and stops on an ongoing basis.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

This reminds me of the old Eye Spy campaign launched by Dublin Bus many years ago...

I think Veolia is being forced to do something on this issue. The level of anti-social behaviour on Luas has increased dramatically in the last year. At all times of day, it's common to see people drink alcohol on the tram, the stops seem to be a magnet for every junkie in Dublin and on numerous occasions over the summer I have seen Veolia staff allow scumbags and junkies travel on the tram, some with drink in their hand, and some so wasted they couldn't even sit on the seats.

The city centre stops at Jervis and Abbey Street seem to be the worst. There are gangs of scumbags gathered here all day. It's a horrible image for a service which is supposed to be safe.

These people don't care about CCTV. They are known by Gardai and they are so out of their head that no amount of glossy CCTV posters will stop them from annoying people at stops, boarding trams, falling on passengers and shouting all over the tram. I would like to see a system similar to the trams in Amsterdam where there is an inspector/conductor on every tram who is present for the whole journey.

It's something I thought I'd never say, but I think it's safer to travel by bus than Luas. At least with the bus, passengers are filtered before boarding and the scumbags normally go upstairs to the back. Luas just opens 6 doors and scumbags and junkies don't care who they fall onto. This problem is something which I've heard many passengers complain about. It will be interesting to see if Veolia actually take this issue seriously.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think it is well past the time that a dedicated Garda transport police division was formed.

Both high visibility and undercover gardai getting on and off trams, darts, buses, etc. in conjunction with inspectors and drivers and directed by cctv monitors would make public transport far more safe and attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Its coming, its amazing what appears in the approved program for government when you actually ask

Happy days

All buses, trams and most trains have CCTV problem is unless you have the bus ticket or bothered to note the tram or carriage number its all but useless post fact

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Quote [MiniD]

" It's something I thought I'd never say, but I think it's safer to travel by bus than Luas. At least with the bus, passengers are filtered before boarding and the scumbags normally go upstairs to the back. Luas just opens 6 doors and scumbags and junkies don't care who they fall onto. This problem is something which I've heard many passengers complain about. It will be interesting to see if Veolia actually take this issue seriously. " [End]

Interesting to note MiniD`s point.
    It`s not always realized but the Dublin Bus Bye-Laws which govern the operations of its services comprise probably the most up to date set of Public Transport Regulations in Europe.

They are available free of charge from DB Head Office and I would recommend anybody with an interest to accquire a copy.

The Bye-Laws essentially date from the mid 1990`s and confer a substantial amount of power on DB Drivers and Inspectors and other designated persons to ensure the safe and comfortable operation of its services.

However.....as with many things Irish....The willingness of the Company to support its own staff when the inevitable confrontation occurs remains questionable.
    There is a need for far more visible and interactive application of the DB Bye-Laws at all levels.

This will of itself generate pain and suffering as intending passengers are requested to divest themselves of open food and drink items prior to boarding.

In addition Drivers themselves will have to bite the bullet as regards Radio`s and MP3 players and much else which represents modern societys must-haves.

But...one must start somewhere......Bud !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

I've seen it all now. Earlier today, on the Red Luas line, a group of lads were taking turns between stops to ride outside of the tram. This involved pulling down the rear windscreen wiper and using it as a seat, while holding onto the rear cab window, while the gang inside the tram cheered each other on. The driver was eventually alerted and removed the lads.

Whatever about keeping passengers safe, it seems no amount of CCTV is enough to prevent stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Comes down to the fact that the entire State isn't actually properly policed at all. There's even getting to be less of a pretence of it! Forget any kind of response even to an emergency call for the guards. One case I know of, they didn't come to a burglary scene till the next morning (the tenants were present while the intruders entered - and they phoned while the burglars were still there).

It's a joke, we don't have enough police per head of population, nor enough resources going into it. What hope for avoiding trouble on public transport. If you think you'll avoid trouble travelling by private car, you've just been lucky not to have your car nicked. There are even some carjackings have occurred now too.

I've no doubt the government will proceed with CCTV everywhere cause they'd rather spend money once on that than do something unthinkable like actually train and hire more police!

Aleksmart - it absurd for Dublin Bus to have their staff do the job of the gardaí. I don't consider it positive at all for their staff to have those powers as it's not sane for them to have to try to use them. Most people like to avoid bodily injury or becoming known to certain people.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,261 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Zoney wrote:
    It's a joke, we don't have enough police per head of population, nor enough resources going into it.
    Are we sure?

http://bluesandtwos.blogspot.com/2006/05/police-reform-police-mergers.html (sorted list)
    http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200203/cmhansrd/vo030328/text/30328w12.htm (source)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ah, CCTV, the greatest PR trick of all-time to make it look like someone is actually doing something.

Put in a batch of CCTV cameras and you therefore don't need to pay for security guards. A cost-cutting exercise that has been successfully passed off as a safety measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

But they haven't put in CCTV! It's all been there since the very start on both trams and platforms. All they are doing is advertising the fact.

Advertisement