Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter

Options
  • 08-08-2007 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Since our summer has been slightly odd, any idea's what our winter will be like???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Lots of snow hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Scattered showers and sunny spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

seven wrote:
    Since our summer has been slightly odd, any idea's what our winter will be like???
    no, and anyone who says they do, are either nutcases or just guessing. I've read a few things that inicate that it could be cooler, but really it's just to far away atm, forecasting a week out is hard enough;)
    You Suck! wrote:
    Scattered showers and sunny spells.
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

I hope its cold and snowy with plenty of hard frosts. Proper winter storms. Constant northerlys and north easters. Thunder snow events. hard frosts before major snow events. You,s get the picture. SNOW Hopefully in autumn!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Sensing a common theme here!

To be honest I'm reasonably optimistic that we may see some decent cold snaps this year for no other reason that we haven't for quite some years. Nature tends to average itself out over the long term and even with global warming we are overdue a cold winter here.

That said I'd take another one just like last years with 5 days of decent lying snow, but wouldn't mind one where its not just higher areas like here that get to enjoy it, would love to see this forum going bonkers as the resident snow nuts ramp and go crazy when the first few flakes are potentially about to fall ..not looking at anyone in particular WC and Tristrame (yeah Mr T this includes you too!!..who else goes driving up mountains in the middle of night just to meet the snow head on!!) ;)

Bring it on !!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭arctictree

Anyone who reads this forum will know that Ireland always has the potential for serious snow events - even with global warming. We were one degree off a major event in Dublin in February this year and there were other times when the temps were right but the showers just missed Dublin by chance more than anything else. We need a good dumping in Dublin to have snow events shoved back into popular memory again.

My perfect winter would be two or three snow storms intermingled with dry and sunny weather. Wouldn't be the same without some mild drizzly weather too!!

A

arctictree wrote:
    Anyone who reads this forum will know that Ireland always has the potential for serious snow events - even with global warming. We were one degree off a major event in Dublin in February this year and there were other times when the temps were right but the showers just missed Dublin by chance more than anything else. We need a good dumping in Dublin to have snow events shoved back into popular memory again.

My perfect winter would be two or three snow storms intermingled with dry and sunny weather. Wouldn't be the same without some mild drizzly weather too!!

A

Sounds ideal Artictree, I'm dying to see what a proper cold snap can bring - i.e. like a 90's or 80's one that brings snow to east coast and midlands counties.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I dont really trust LRFs and so dont think they are very accurate at all.
    The raw CFS data has all 3 winter months at or just below avg temps for this country and rainfall avg.Now this changes every month but has been consistent for now.
    However as we have a weak LaNina year upon us,there is a tendency that the Jet moves southwards alowing pressure to build to our NW and LP to build to our east.Explains why rainfall is avg for the area for the winter months=shower form.

Now closer to the time the inevitable will happen and everything goes pear shape and 2007 winter revisited.But this is Ireland anything is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I'm hoping we gt a proper winter. I love the ice cold air and the winter sun so fingers crossed

arctictree wrote:

A
    why is it still summer?:mad: ;)

• Advertisement

This Winter i'm hoping for a hard frost before each snowfall. A couple of Polar lows over the course of the winter would be very nice. Failing that frequent blasts of Northerly or North Westerly winds with troughs coming down from the North or North West would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Anything but the winter we had last year, we seemed to get an unusually large number of pretty severe Atlantic storms. Would be nice alright to get some sneachta for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The winter of 05/06 was very poor I found. A very irritating number of near misses and dry northwesterlies. At least most areas saw snow, if only briefly, last winter.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a big snow event which suddenly appeared in the t+72 charts, as opposed to the usual vanishing act?? We could all do with a much colder than average January, at the same time as the common wetter than average ones:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 seven

Yes I want lots of snow like in the 80's when there was no bread or milk in the shops because we got some snow. If it did fall heavy this year shops would probably run out of sun ripened tomatoes and ciabatta.. oh how times have change:D

This Winter i'm hoping for a hard frost before each snowfall. A couple of Polar lows over the course of the winter would be very nice. Failing that frequent blasts of Northerly or North Westerly winds with troughs coming down from the North or North West would suffice.

Nacho where are you based?, northerlies and northwesterlies are the worst things imaginable for us eastern county people, I'm certainly hoping for anything with an eastern component this winter.

Longfield wrote:
    Nacho where are you based?, northerlies and northwesterlies are the worst things imaginable for us eastern county people, I'm certainly hoping for anything with an eastern component this winter.
    A nice strong North-Easterly for a few weeks would be good.
    We're setting ourselves up for depression this winter with all these dreams:rolleyes: :D

I think Nacho Libre is in Mayo, if my memory serves me correctly:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

My LRF for the next year:
    Autumn: Rain, with just some occasional glimses of sun
    Winter: Rain, with just some occasional glimses of sun
    Spring: Rain, with just some occasional glimses of sun
    Summer: Rain, with just some occasional glimses of sun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Excellent,so there is a chance of sun then.

Longfield wrote:

Mayo.

So, yes, it's purely selfish on my part:D
    When ye get a decent amount of snow we usually don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭You Suck!

Anything but the winter we had last year, we seemed to get an unusually large number of pretty severe Atlantic storms. Would be nice alright to get some sneachta for a change.

If I remember correctly january storms were a regular feature back in the early ninetys. Im not sure, but dosn't Ireland get a few years activity every now and again?

Also sorry to be the pervert in the room, but storms not snow! :D
    Theres nothing more spectacular then the power of a storm when you live on the west coast of galway by the sea. Besides I never seen a fall of snow last longer then a day or two out these parts thanks to the gulf stream.

• Advertisement

http://www.climaprog.de/website0706008.htm ......:D,
    Usually wrong though:(

Advertisement