Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Garda questions at checkpoint

Options
  • 08-08-2007 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

Was driving down the quays the last night and got pulled by the Guards at their checkpoint. Had me wait there for 5 mins (fair enough, they weren't very organised really .. seemed lik they were just setting up).

Then he came up and asked my name .. I reply with my full name (are you ment to say your full name or just your first? Do they care?).

Then he asked where I lived ... fair enough .. told him that. He asked where I was from originally ... thought this a weird question so I told him I've lived there most of my life. He then asked again where I was from originally .. so I told him.

He then asked where I was giong ... so fair enough I answered him and then he told me to head off and enjoy my night.

He didn't seem to look at the tax disc at all, didn't ask for my license.

What was going on? Is he just chatting to me to see if I'm drunk or something? Wasn't the usual friendly chat you'd expect .. seemed more serious but the questions seemed random.

Or am I just inexperienced and this is how most of them go?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sounds like he's just checking to see if you're drunk or on something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Questions like "where are you from originally?" - my answer should perhaps have been - "how is this relevent officer?".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Best to just answer the questions and get away, when you start askin them why they want to know its just going to waste more of your time, remember they get paid for it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

They sound like typical questions.

Going home one night with a friend (him driving) at about 2am, we were stopped.

Garda: Can I ask where you are heading?
    Friend (consternated tone): HOME!
    Garda: Oh, er, alright then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭constellation

At least it wasn't the aul' "where do you see yourself in ten years time..." type of question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

TBH Ciaranfo, they've asked me exactly the same questions. When asked "Where do you come from originally", I answered "I'm not sure, but I think the parent's had a filthy weekend in Mayo about 29 years ago". He gave an auld guffaw, tipped the hat, and waved me on. Could never figure out the point of the question though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This is an interesting question to ask, but seems a bit dangerous. If an employer asked this at a job interview, he would be putting himself in legal peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

If an employer asked this at a job interview, he would be putting himself in legal peril.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The Garda was operating properly.They're there to catch criminals not act as waiters. If the op thinks he was incovenienced then he would have another perspective had he been crossing the border not so many years ago on a GAA match day to experience police inconvenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'm happy they're out diong their job and really don't mind having been stopped... I'm just taken aback by the question and I'm trying to understand it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think these kind of questions are similar in their aim to some of the seemingly silly questions customs officers at airports and ports ask. They're not really interested in the actual answers you give, but more in the way you react, i.e. do you seem overly nervous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Because theyre pricks, and it makes them feel big when they waste your time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

ciaranfo wrote:
    Questions like "where are you from originally?" - my answer should perhaps have been - "how is this relevent officer?".

I believe this would have been a bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

nm wrote:
    Because theyre pricks, and it makes them feel big when they waste your time

Agree 100%. Every Guard I've ever met has been a complete and utter fool on a power trip, wa*kers.
    I don't care what others think, so save me the onslaught.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

He was smelling your breath. Checking to see if you had a drink. Standard procedure.

I presume he asked a few different questions because he couldn't get a reaad on you with the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

They don't have to smell your breath at all under the new Drink Driving Laws. I was stopped once in Tipp and asked the exact same questions. The guards were looking for someone specific at the time, chances are they were doing the same at your checkpoint and the fact they used the same questions suggests they were following usual flow-chart teachings straight from the Garda College.
    Originally Posted by ciaranfo

Well, now you know why it was relevant so hopefully you can remember this if you are stopped. Believe me, I'm sure the garda don't want to ask the same questions to hundreds of motorists every evening and suffer smart-arse replies like this. They can always ask you down in the station, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

'where are you from originally'

What he is asking is Like where do your parents live, Ive been living in dublin for about 10years, have me own house, so when a English person asks me where are you from I say Ireland, and when a Dub asks me I would say living in Dx but Im from Kerry originally'....

It makes sense to me, As my license has my parents address on it,...

I have often wondered, If I continue to live in dublin Say for another 10 yrs will I then be a dub? Or do I need to have kids to be a Dub, I asked a Dub this, a good friend, and he say I would never be a dub :-)

If I were any good at Football I reckon I be accepted , but then that a seperate thread :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

delop wrote:
    'where are you from originally'

What he is asking is Like where do your parents live, Ive been living in dublin for about 10years, have me own house, so when a English person asks me where are you from I say Ireland, and when a Dub asks me I would say living in Dx but Im from Kerry originally'....

It makes sense to me, As my license has my parents address on it,...

I have often wondered, If I continue to live in dublin Say for another 10 yrs will I then be a dub? Or do I need to have kids to be a Dub, I asked a Dub this, a good friend, and he say I would never be a dub :-)

If I were any good at Football I reckon I be accepted , but then that a seperate thread :-)

apparently the first 25 years are the hardest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

"Evening occifer **hic** "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

newbie2 wrote:
    You can qualify for Dub status by eating your own Sh!t and marrying your sister. ;)

Words fail me. Oh, dont even bother with the "I put a smiley on the end" defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

newbie2 wrote:
    You can qualify for Dub status by eating your own Sh!t and marrying your sister. ;)

Or the reverse, if you're from BRAY :D

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

Alun wrote:
    I think these kind of questions are similar in their aim to some of the seemingly silly questions customs officers at airports and ports ask. They're not really interested in the actual answers you give, but more in the way you react, i.e. do you seem overly nervous.
    Exactly they could eb asking you why do you think chris columbis sailed acorss the atlantic, it doesnt matter. They are looking for signs that look abnormal like fidgeting sweating etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I got stopped the other day at a checkpoint and my dog went berserk. she was in the boot behind a dog guard, but took a real dislike to the Gard!!

The Gard thought it was hilarious as we could hardly hear one another, so he quickly gave me a breath test, smiled and off I went.

It's funy how a breath test gives you a real thrist:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

newbie2 wrote:
    Can you take the trash-talking elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Seem to be normal enough questions, whats the issue with them? Answer them and continue on your way... its not like if you give a wrong answer you will be arrested!

And not all Guards are as bad as most people here are making out, i've had a bad experience with one in particular and what could have been a far far worse one turn completely upside down as the Guard in that situation let me off...which was quite surprising to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I was up in Donegal 2 weeks ago, driving back just over the border in Monaghan get stopped at a Garda Checkpoint, Lady Garda asks to see the Drivers license- Obviously sees that I am a Dub so then she says "What do you think about Derry"

Me - Total blank look on my face thinking did something happen up in Derry while I was away as had not been really following the news :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ranvilla

Going into Shannon Airport recently was stopped at security hut by airport police and guards. "Where are you going?" says airport cop. "The airport?" says I as road leads no where else. "No, where are you going?" says she again. "The airport?" says I again bags clearly visible in back seat with airline tags. Guard intervenes and says firmly "Where are you flying to sir?" "Another airport?" says I "Go on so" says he to the backdrop of sniggers from his collegues.
    I agree with the original poster.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Ok, then, I'll be the one who copies Conservative MPs...

> Swings a copy of Nineteen Eighty-Four in the air!

Advertisement