Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which House??? Help....

Options
  • 08-08-2007 12:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Hey All

My partner have to choose between two houses and we can't split them. They are very similar houses but one is in Walkinstown while the other is in Clarehall. The Clarehall one is in a very nice estate and close enough to the dart to walk. Problem is I suppose it's surrounded (not too closely) by some supposedely rougher areas. The Walkinstown one is on a nice road close to a decent bus route. The house in Clarehall is a little nicer but there's not much in it...

Any ideas or suggestions....

Red

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Where do you and your partner work? Does either area make the commute more pleasant? Or family nearby? I would buy which ever is handiest for you, rather than worrying about which area is better investment etc.

Walkinstown is nice, but the buses can be a little rough. Not wanting to annoy anyone from Tallaght (I'm on the same bus route), but the buses can be rough late at night. I know nothing of Clarehall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Walkinstown is more likely to retain it's value through a downturn, or increase more if prices were to start rising again than Clarehall imo - it's very handy for town, thus will always be more rentable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Redfraggle

Hey

Thanks for the feedback. We work on the southside (Baggott St and St Stephens Green) and play sports etc on the southside as well. The commute from Clarehall is 15 mins walk, 20 mins dart to Pearse and then 10 - 15 mins walk. From Walkinstown the commute is 5 mins walk, a bus journey of about 45 mins then a 10 mins walk

Red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Clarehall, shades it slightly on the commute then... but only just. Difficult choice. Cyclings not everyones cup of tea, but for what it's worth, you could cycle from Walkinstown roundabout to town in about 25 mins, bit of a hill out of town though :-)

My gut would be for Clarehall, just because of the dart's proximity (and the lack of hill out of town)

Good luck with the purchase, hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Redfraggle wrote:
    Hey

Thanks for the feedback. We work on the southside (Baggott St and St Stephens Green) and play sports etc on the southside as well. The commute from Clarehall is 15 mins walk, 20 mins dart to Pearse and then 10 - 15 mins walk. From Walkinstown the commute is 5 mins walk, a bus journey of about 45 mins then a 10 mins walk

Red
    What time are you commuting at? I leave circa 9.00 and the bus will get me to Trinity by 9.30 - earlier than that it probably takes longer.
    You should also factor in waiting times for buses/darts etc, especially in the evenings, when Darts are presumably much more infrequent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭xxdilemmaxx

Hi, I live beside Clarehall and it's a lovely area, Darndale is the only place i can think of that may be a bit dodgy (sorry to any residents there) but it's not that close and I have never had any incidents at all. Clarehall is a 10 min drive from Malahide, near enough to Howth too and also ten min drive from St Annes Park etc (if you have kids). Have friends living in Clarehall estate and they say the neighbours are all really friendly etc.... Just my two cents :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Redfraggle

Hey Guys

Thanks for that. Can anyone tell me how long it would take to drive to the City Centre (St Stephens Green) from Clarehall to be in for 9am in the morning???

Red

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If there isnt much in it then as the saying goes :-

You are better off buying the worst house in the best area than the best house in the worst area.

One may increase in value in the future, the other won't.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Redfraggle wrote:
    Hey Guys

Thanks for that. Can anyone tell me how long it would take to drive to the City Centre (St Stephens Green) from Clarehall to be in for 9am in the morning???

Red

Along the malahide road the traffic into town is fairly mad. Be prepared to grind to a halt as you head towards fairview and then crawl in from there. You'd have to leave at 7.30ish and that'd maybe get you in for 8.30. Any later than 7.30 you probably add a good chunk of time to your journey. And bring on the winter!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

the DART at Howth Junction in the mornings are absolutely jammers up until about 9.10am in the morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Another 10,000 units to go into the North Fringe. Lots of services also, but you will nedd to weigh things up.

Advertisement