Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First year Maths?

Options
  • 07-08-2007 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I'm confused....does anyone know that if I do maths (through arts) for first year and drop it after that, would I be entitled to teach Junior Cert maths if I was to do a H Dip after I completed my course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Yes, (unless the rules have changed recently).

Teaching jobs are often advertised for more than one subject. You need to have the first-named subject to final-year degree standard. In the case of the other subjects, it depends on how the ad is phrased. That is, it depends on whether it says "with" or "and":

If it says, for example, "Geography WITH Maths", then the second subject is to be taught up to JC, and you need 1st year maths to be qualified (as well as final-year Geography, obviously). If it says "Geography AND Maths", then both are to be taught up to LC, and you'd need both to degree standard to be qualified.

Mind you, in the secondary sector, (as opposed to the VEC sector,) once the school has employed you, they can timetable you to teach other subjects that you're not qualified in, if you agree to it. This might not be very smart, but schools often do it, (sometimes just to fill up a timetable, but sometimes it's more substantial).

Hope this clarifies.

P.S. Useful link at Teaching Council's website (although doesn't cover the above issue):
    http://www.teachingcouncil.ie/registration_information/default.asp?NCID=202&NID=160#4._Appointments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Contact the council on this is my best recommendation, most up to date answers available from them. Things are going to change a lot in the coming years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 reddiva

Thanks for the replies, I'll definitely get in touch with the council. I thought that I would be able to do it, but I wasn't fully sure. Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

nice. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Jr.Hero

Interest in same topic also. i'm gonna be doing arts degre in math and computer science, and thinking of taking economics as third subject. if i was to drop economics after first year, would it still enable me to teach JC Business or even LC Economics ordinary level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement