Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless connection on Dell laptop

Options
  • 07-08-2007 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

My other half has just bought a Dell Laptop. we have broadband in with eircom in the house, but the new laptop will not connect properly to it, my network is not a secure one, its open, due to eircoms fault, so I didnt envisage any problems with connection.

it will connect for a few mins and then loose it again or else it is very slow when it does connect, any ideas? my own laptop is working perfectly with broadband. its picking up loads of other secure networks around my estate and even signal sterngth is stonger than my own one is.

can i make the connection a secure one that both laptops run off, and would i have to buy a stronger modem?

any help appreciated as its a bit head wrecking at this stage!!!! :mad: :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You're right to want to encrypt the network ASAP. Use WPA and not WEP encryption. Make sure the key/password is a good one: mixture of uppercase and lowercase letters as well as numbers. Make it long too.

How are you trying to connect? Are you using the tool build into Windows? Are you using the latest drivers for the laptop's chipset and WLAN device?

Are you using any MAC access control list to prevent any devices other than your own from connecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

ethernet wrote:
    You're right to want to encrypt the network ASAP. Use WPA and not WEP encryption. Make sure the key/password is a good one: mixture of uppercase and lowercase letters as well as numbers. Make it long too.

How are you trying to connect? Are you using the tool build into Windows? Are you using the latest drivers for the laptop's chipset and WLAN device?

Are you using any MAC access control list to prevent any devices other than your own from connecting?

yes have tried both dells own tool and windows one, it will connect for a few mins, shows an excellent singal sterngth and that, but once I go to load pages it vanishes!! its a broadcom internal wi fi card that is in it.

Have you tried changing the channel used by your router? Worth trying, especially if there are lots of other wireless networks in your area.

ethernet wrote:
    Have you tried changing the channel used by your router? Worth trying, especially if there are lots of other wireless networks in your area.

thanks for the tip, it worked!!! ended up I had to update eircoms firmware for the modem as it was running under an older version, once i got that done i was able to change the channel easily enough n also make network secure :)

piskins72 wrote:
    thanks for the tip, it worked!!! ended up I had to update eircoms firmware for the modem as it was running under an older version, once i got that done i was able to change the channel easily enough n also make network secure :)
    That's great ... until you're swamped with even more wireless networks in the area! Happy web browsing :D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Do you have a tv sender or baby monitor in your house? They also run on the e2.4ghz frequency and could have been causing interference. Changing the channel would have sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

MarkR wrote:
    Do you have a tv sender or baby monitor in your house? They also run on the e2.4ghz frequency and could have been causing interference. Changing the channel would have sorted it.

Or it could be a neighbour with a bogey TV-sender. ;)

tom dunne wrote:
    Or it could be a neighbour with a bogey TV-sender. ;)

so strange u say that!!! it only happened a few weeks ago with the car, with a bogey TV sender interfering and the central locking wouldnt work! wonder now how u knew that :D

turns out it may have been the cordless phone effecting it also i was told, all working proper now anyways, mr piskins 72 is grateful for the assistance :D:)

Advertisement