Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Furniture

Options
  • 07-08-2007 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi i was thinking of buyin some furniture from argos and was wondering if any one else bought there before could they tell me where they happy with purchase good quality etc.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

stuff I saw (wardrobes) was total rubbish made from crumbling chipboard.

it has been so badly handled I could see the crumbling chipboard through the missing corner of the packaging .

fortunately they came and collected as the 16 day guarantee applied, teh driver chanced his arm at another delivery charge ( he was a subbie) till I pointed to the crumbing and said "your problem mate".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I have several book/cd cases and a couple of safari-style wadrobes, and they're grand. They're not built like the stuff in your granny's gaff, but the bookcases in particular have been through three house moves and they're still aok. (The wardrobes are pretty much disposable tbh, but again that's reflected in the price.) We have two large Argos desks too, and although mine is new, the girlfriend's has been through one house move and it's fine.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

best thing to do - go look at the furniture in Homebase - they're both owned by the same group & some of the same furniture is sold by both so you can actually see the furniture in homebase :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Over the years, I bought two sofas from Argos. Not a single issue at all. Much cheaper than stores here, and the item was just what I wanted. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I bought a bedroom set, (wardrobe chest of drawers and lockers) 5 years ago.

Putting them together was tricky but no worse than Ikea or any other type I suppose.

They started to fall apart after less than 2 years, (drawer sliders coming loose etc) and we finally got rid of them this year, when they disintegrated totally.:) I suppose you get what you pay for, but in future Id prefer to pay more and get a better quality item.

I have also bought wicker furniture from Argos, which was fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Got a few bookcases and a TV stand off them and they're fine.

And much easier to put together than some other flat-pack stuff we got off a 'proper' furniture shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Bought 2 leather sofa's from them a few years ago. They have withstood the test of time and 2 hyper children!!

Although when they first arrived they looked much smaller than I thought they would be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Argos furniture is an inside joke in my house... Everything we've ever had was of extremely poor quality and fell apart- chest of drawers, beds and wardrobes. For some reason my mother insists on buying Argos before we can stop her.. but trust me, anything I'v ever had from there is awful! It all breaks very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭REDZ

My mate bought a mattress off them earlier this year, it took five months to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I've bought a lot of the smaller stuff - book cases, cd/dvd storage, bedside lockers, chests of drawers, bar stool chairs & even a small wardrobe & I never had a complaint. Lots of it has been through several house moves and is still standing. Yes it's made from cheap components, but it lasts really well for the price of it. You're not going to get solid wood for those prices.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That's the thing, you get what you pay for. If you're buying for a flat or a house you're renting for a few years - or even just to kit out a new house because you can't afford 'proper' furniture - it's perfect. If you're looking for something classy to hand down to your kids, it's totally not. I have to say though, for the price of it I've been pleasantly surprised at the durability of most of the stuff I've bought.

Personally I think the people that have been disappointed might have set their expectations a wee bit too high. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

REDZ wrote:
    My mate bought a mattress off them earlier this year, it took five months to arrive.

Yeah heard about the truck doing the rounds at the service stations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Argos furniture is cheap for a reason.

It can suit many people and can be fine for kids bedroom, storage areas and for short term solutions.

Bargaintown might be even better value for basic stuff.

Advertisement