Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer Licences out...

Options
  • 07-08-2007 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

Arrived this morning with a flyer entitled "Protect the environment & field sports...do not introduce new species of deer".

Now, if only I had my new firearms certs :rolleyes: .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Nice one. I just sent my application off today!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

CJhaughey - did you get it yet?
    I'm still waiting on mine as well - sent it in last month.

I might give them a ring to check all is OK.

tL
    Nope nothing in the post yet, I will post if/when I am successful.
    I spoke to the local ranger before I applied to gauge feeling and it was pretty positive so I am hopeful....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

AFAIK (but I hope for you guys I'm wrong), they are only issued at the beginning of August. I say this because a few years ago, someone I know applied mid-season & was told his licence would only issue for the following season. i.e. no licences issued during the season.

It arrived the following August.

I'd suggest a call wouldn't do any harm, before Sepember ;) . Last time I had reason to speak to PWS, Mary seemed the most senior & was very helpful.

Best of luck with them anyway.

Gave them a call - mine will be sent on Friday :)

Here's the number for you CJhaughey - 0429748703
    If you're relying on the license to get your firearms cert ask them to send a letter saying your permission has been approved - that's what I did the season before last.

• Advertisement

Actually just had this converation with someone recently..

What is the procedure for shooting deer in Ireland? I know that there is a minimum calibre, but what are the licensing requirements for private land, public land etc?

You need written permission from a land owner saying that you can shoot deer on their land.
    They were looking for over 100 acres for me - ring the land registry office in Waterford for the folio numbers matching the farmers land - they are very helpful. Problem is that the land will be registered under the farmers wife, children, parents etc.
    I ended up having to get 3 letters :rolleyes:

The thing that will take time is that a ranger will have to approve your permission - these are spread fairly thin. They make sure that there's deer on the land you have. Someone else can already have permission on the same land but the deer numbers have to be able to support ye both.

You then of course have to go through the Gards as normal for the firearms cert - so add on another few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Not trying to spoil it for you folk, but their is an anormouse amount of deer certs going out at present:eek: , last i heard, over 3000, that was 3 years ago, god knows what its like now?
    It seems, every tom dick and harry, wants to shoot a deer.
    I have talked to a few rangers in the past and in certain areas, the deer population is falling fast, not the numbers their use to be.
    Another disturbing thing is, some characters, are going around and their being watched, their going around and shooting prime fallow bucks and red stags, only for the antlers, cutting the heads off and leaving the body their.:(

Take only what you need folks, please and respect the deer population.;)

Good safe hunting to all, the best of luck and enjoy.

keelan

I can safely say that I'm not much of a threat to the deer population :rolleyes:

I'd agree though that there are a lot of people trying to shoot them - I couldn't believe the amount out last Sept 1st around my permission - every evening or morning I went out I came accross others shooting too.

I have your scope mounted Keelan - the S&B are in a class of their own without a doubt.
    Been out a few evenings with it and on the range and can't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Glad to hear it Lurcher.:)
    Hope it gives you many years of happyness, as it did me.

All the best,

Keelan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bogteal

i do not think its the amount of deer licences thats to blame for drop in deer its the amount of lamping thats going on, out last year seen a good few dead in the mornings, talked to farmers said you could see guys lamping 3 or 4 nights a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

bogteal wrote:
    i do not think its the amount of deer licences thats to blame for drop in deer its the amount of lamping thats going on, out last year seen a good few dead in the mornings, talked to farmers said you could see guys lamping 3 or 4 nights a week.
    What are these asshats doing?
    Shooting deer for the sake of shooting them and not bothering to collect them afterwards, or taking pot-shots in the dark and the ones you're finding are the wounded that got away?

Whichever, these scummers need to be weeded out of the shooting 'community' (however tenuous their connection to legit shooting) as soon as possible; they're bringing us all into disrepute with this despicable behaviour. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bogteal

i think your right rovi, pot shots they dont care if they kill or not. i think if a deer died in the middle of the road they would not bother to pick it up, brave men to shoot the deer not so to put in a van and bring it home in case they get pulled on way back.

Got mine yesterday.

Mine was there when I got home yesterday as well.

Advertisement