Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bus Lanes through Drumcondra

Options
  • 07-08-2007 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

I'd be interested in getting feedback from any bus users as to the impact of these new bus lanes - from Quinns in Drumcondra all the way up to the N1/M1. I'm guessing this is for a QBC? It's gonna be a nightmare for cars when the schools start back :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

When I was on it on the bus lane Sunday evening (Quinns to Fagans), no cars were using it even though they are signs that it was not in operation :confused:

It's to be welcomed and since many bus users use this route to the airport then it will become important.

The road will a nightmare for cars and it's often backed up so far that cars turning right from Clonliffe Rd have difficulty joining the road.
    But I've no sympathy for the car drivers here, we need more QBC and buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Maybe a few of those kids (or commuters) will take the bus and reduce the traffic volume a little. Not being sarcastic but they're never going to keep everyone happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

You'll find the majority of cars on that road are heading north of Swords where there is really a non existent bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Objection your honour, complete supposition..... :D

Bluetonic wrote:
    You'll find the majority of cars on that road are heading north of Swords where there is really a non existent bus service.

So people who chose to live in a city with a public transport system should be penalised in favour of people who chose to live outside the public transport zone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mendicant

markpb wrote:
    So people who chose to live in a city with a public transport system should be penalised in favour of people who chose to live outside the public transport zone?

So people who can't afford to live in a city with a public transport system should be penalised in favour of people who can only afford to live outside the public transport zone?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I believe that if we keep rolling out bus lane and basically force people onto buses it will be better in the long run. It's painful at first, but at present there aren't enough people squeezed into buses complaining enough to get more buses, if you know what I mean.

I believe that all arterial routes , both radial and orbital should have 100% bus lane coverage, even if that results in 1 lane for cars in each direction.

Mendicant wrote:
    So people who can't afford to live in a city with a public transport system should be penalised in favour of people who can only afford to live outside the public transport zone?

Frankly, yes. Otherwise we stay in the same crap situation where people in the city can't use the buses because people outside the city drive in. And people living outside the city can't commute in because the bus is taken up by bus lane.

The future, whether you like it or not is increased priority for bus users and people living outside that zone can park and ride either on the train or bus. Anyone who absolutely needs a car for work can continue to drive in but accepts they will be a lower priority group.

And back to your original point, a large amount of the traffic on that road is school traffic. When the council wanted to close the right turn onto Collins Avenue from the N1, they were forced to almost completely reverse the decision because of the huge amount of parents trying to drive past the three schools in that area.

Advertisement