Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Baggage question

Options
  • 07-08-2007 9:47am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭

Im travelling to manchester at the end of the month with Ryanair and I have one item of carry on. I now want to take my laptop with me I will be checking in online, anyone ever had any experience with this?
    Will it be ok as I wont be seeing any FR staff members until I get to the gate

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I dont think the laptop bag is counted as part of the carry on luggage.. I'm just back from Bristol and I'm nearly sure I saw that sign around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Ryanair allow you to carry one piece of hand luggage (within size & weight guidelines) into the cabin. If you have a separate bag for your laptop, that is counted as two pieces of hand luggage. I would put your laptop into the bag you were bringing onto the plane

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dead air

I've often taken the laptop along with my regular carry on bag without a problem from Dublin on FR flights. Although that's using web check in and avoiding the check in staff, but I've never been stopped because of it boarding the plane.

I do know that in STN you can only bring one bag past security there, so anything over one bag will have to checked in.

It is not just Standsted that only allow 1 hand luggage, it is all UK airports.
    Laptops and other large electrical items (e.g. a large hairdryer) have to be removed from cabin baggage and screened separately. A laptop bag will be regarded as your one item that is allowed in the cabin.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

[QUOTE=
    I do know that in STN you can only bring one bag past security there, so anything over one bag will have to checked in.[/QUOTE]

Its a rule for all UK airports that you can only have ONE hand luggage bag as you are going through the security point.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

Sounds like ill be stopped from bringing it back in the cabin by uk security so

Only if you bring it as a separate bag. Put your laptop into your bag that you were bringng and you will be fine.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

Unfort not enough room

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

mobpd wrote:
    Its a rule for all UK airports that you can only have ONE hand luggage bag as you are going through the security point.

You end up with this silly situation of people before the security scanners taking clothes out of their carry-on bag, putting them on over their other clothes and jamming the laptop bag into their carry on. You then put your jammed full bag through the scanner and your laptop goes through out of its case.

Once through the scanners they all put the clothes back in the bag, the laptop goes back into its case and they carry on as before.

Absolutely daft.

The whole security shenanigans is daft anyway. Queue 45 minutes to get your photo taken for security then queue 10 minutes to put your bag through the scanner then queue 10 minutes to put yours shoes through another scanner. That was my last experience of flying from Gatwick last month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

. . . . Queue 45 minutes to get your photo taken for security . . . .

There's a thing, friend of mine told me he was picked out of the queue and told to stand in front of a camera to be recorded when coming back from the UK, what's the purpose of this and can you refuse, what action would they take if you did ?

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

The whole security shenanigans is daft anyway. Queue 45 minutes to get your photo taken for security then queue 10 minutes to put your bag through the scanner then queue 10 minutes to put yours shoes through another scanner. That was my last experience of flying from Gatwick last month.
    In reality its the same queue...first if you are travelling from LGW to Ireland they take your photo at the passport control point....then you go on to the normal Xray machine then after that separate machine just to xray the shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭arctictree

spurious wrote:
    You end up with this silly situation of people before the security scanners taking clothes out of their carry-on bag, putting them on over their other clothes and jamming the laptop bag into their carry on. You then put your jammed full bag through the scanner and your laptop goes through out of its case.

Once through the scanners they all put the clothes back in the bag, the laptop goes back into its case and they carry on as before.

Absolutely daft.

Yeah - I travel to Frankfurt a lot with only hand luggage. When going there I do the web checkin and therefore my bag is never weighed.

Coming back, at check in, I remove my laptop and coat from my bag, my bag is weighed (under the limit now) and then after checkin, I put everything back in the bag! Makes a bit of a farce of the whole thing.

One time, I forgot to do this and the check in girl asked me is there anything I could take out of the bag temporarily to reduce its weight!

A

mobpd wrote:
    In reality its the same queue...first if you are travelling from LGW to Ireland they take your photo at the passport control point....then you go on to the normal Xray machine then after that separate machine just to xray the shoes

I know it is the same queue - 45m photo, 10 min scanner & 10 min shoe scanner making a grand total of 1 hour & 5 minutes to get through security.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

spurious wrote:

Absolutely daft.

Get a bin-bag, this magically converts 3 items of had-luggage to 1 piece, go through security, say hocus-pocus, and you're back to three pieces.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I'd be stunned and disappointed if that actually worked, tbh.

I'm interested that the UK airports have special regulations. Some airlines have their own policies such as handbags/cameras being free and not included. Others attach a great deal of importance to weight limits.

I have to say that although i haven't flown into the UK in ages, this messing doesn't really make it all that attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Mucco wrote:
    Get a bin-bag, this magically converts 3 items of had-luggage to 1 piece, go through security, say hocus-pocus, and you're back to three pieces.
    It worked for DeVore!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

Calina wrote:
    I'm interested that the UK airports have special regulations.

It's a government regulation, and I think it's about to be withdrawn. It's another ridiculous rule to keep the populous scared ala 1984.

Advertisement