Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPO to become a mall?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From what I understand, it won't affect the areas that are already open to the public. It concerns the large area currently used by An Post for storage and office space, not the bit that is at the front. The GPO is a huge building and the only bit that is 'old' is the front piece.

I think it's an excellent idea and if done properly could be a major asset to the O'Connell Street area, particularly combined with Arnotts' extensive plans for Prince's Street which will open that whole side of the building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Ugh, well it'd want to be approached with caution given our planners fairly dire record in recent years, I have images of a massive Starbucks sign hung in front of the pillars...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No, the Starbucks is upstairs. :D

Here's a discussion on it
    From post 2693 onwards - Archiseek forums
    and some artist's impressions of the proposed Arnotts development (which is going to be huge):
    Arnotts
    Some interesting pictures late in that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭MySelf56

This country run by Property Developers its in country veins. The funniest this is though property developers are calling this as Public place is that new name for shopping mall now a days.

This country run by property developers, Truly Celtic Tiger Version 3.0 arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

RTS tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭bostonian

Terrible idea, this is the sort of thing that seems okay at first because it's in an unseen area, but I think it could set a precedent. Making a mall out of the GPO is as bad as bulldozing Tara.

Advertisement