Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a HD tv thats not actually HD

Options
  • 07-08-2007 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭

Ok this is a bit of a long story but ill keep it short as i can.
    Bought a samsung rear projection tv from currys about 18 months ago.
    On the front of it it clearly says hd ready 1080i
    Now i have just bought an xbox which can output in the hd 1080i or in normal 480i.
    After much messing about with the console settings and the tv settings it became clear that it would not work.
    So after a lot of time spent on the internet i find out that my tv is not hd ready at all and is not capable of running my xbox in high definition.
    Here is a thread on another forum of people in a similiar boat.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270562&highlight=SP43W6HL&page=1

My question is can i claim that the tv is not actually fit for its purpose ?
    If so who would i go to to find out the best course of action before going to currys.
    Lastly without a receipt i am kinda screwed or am i?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

if its true its false advertising assuming the problem is that the xbox is not compatible with the tv

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Thats very stange, I also have a Samsung HDTV that I got around 18-20 months ago with my 360 and it works fine, 480p, 720p, 1080i whatever with my PS3 and Wii aswell.

I find it hard to believe that Samsung would rate a TV as HD ready when it won't actually do it. If they did they would have been out of business a long time ago.

Are you 100% you went through all the settings and have the component cable switch set correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Some info from Wikipedia (not the most trustworthy source I know..)
    The fact that a product bears the label "HD ready" does not necessarily mean that it can display the full picture resolution possible from a HD source. Most HD-ready sets do not have enough pixels to give true pixel-for-pixel representation without interpolation of the higher HD resolution (1920x1080)

It seems that "HD-Ready" means that the TV has to be able to output pictures at at least 720 lines. It also has to be able to accept a 1080i source, but doesn't have to output at that resolution.

I could be way off here though..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

plazzTT wrote:
    I could be way off here though..
    Nope you're correct, HD Ready is not a true HD setup. True HD setups are only now starting to show up, I expect more screaming in the years to come if we start to see true HD movies as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Nody wrote:
    Nope you're correct, HD Ready is not a true HD setup. True HD setups are only now starting to show up, I expect more screaming in the years to come if we start to see true HD movies as well.

From the wrinkles on celebrities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

Define what you mean "won't work". Does it display anything at all when you give it a 1080i signal? "HD Ready" sets will accept a 1080i signal... but might not display it at that resolution. If it does display at all then don't bother going to Curry's. If it doesn't then maybe just go to the store and say the set is "faulty"... they'll probably will have you on record. And let them expose themselves if/when they say that it can't accept the signal... then you can pounce!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

You still can't beat the old 14" portable! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

What about VGA? Or does it even have a VGA input?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

It has a vga input
    But i can only view my 360 in 480i which is not what i expected to say the least.
    Have i any leg to stand on?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

IrishMike, ask the NCA, they'll tell you soon enough.

You didn't answer any of the clarifying questions other users have posted above - and I don't think the link to the 9 page thread with other people's problems really provides us with your specifics.

I couldn't find enough energy to read through all the 9 pages of posts either, but the ones I did read have very little knowledge of their rights...and are obviously English/UK based which makes a difference.

So, I don't know if there's some technical wordplay, but if the TV said 1080i, and HD Ready, then it would be reasonable for the average consumer to think the TV can display HD content at 1080i. The Consumer Protection Act 2007 may not apply since you bought the television before it was enacted, but if it did, it sounds like this would fail a thing call the 'average consumer' test and thus selling the television under these pretences would be misleading and a breach.

However, since it was 18 months ago, you will probably have to rely on the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980. Simply, the item is not fit for the purpose intended. Contact the NCA first, and they'll tell you about the Small Claims Court and tell you to contact the company again. It won't get your query solved in an instant, but the threat of the Small Claims Court might be enough to influence Curries.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The TV is HD Ready (but not for true HD), no you don't have a leg to stand on and no small claims court will do nothing. Why? Because Xbox 360 and HD TV is a known problem to get working together.

Anyway head over to this place and you should be able to get some help setting the two up.

Advertisement