Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus SNN-LHR

Options
  • 06-08-2007 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭

Some of you may have heard Aer Lingus are to give up SNN-LHR, a route which makes lots of money, in favour of a BFS-LHR. This is nothing short of unacceptable.

Some of you may know what I am in charge of www.shannonairportenthusiasts.net

I am away right now but I plan on setting up a petition when I come home. Hopefully as many as you will sign as appropriate, will probably then be sent on to Aer Lingus, BA, Bmi british Midland and other political figures.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Has a very impressive load factor.... Yes

Makes a lot of money.... Not according to EI.

Aer Lingus are no longer a public utility service, time for people to realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Surely some other airline will take up the Shannon to London Heathrow route?

Aer Arann perhaps?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

That would be a nice move for them allright, theyd need something bigger then an ATR72 for the high density of that route though....

Whats the story with landing slots at heathrow though, does it go by airline or route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

I think I'd rather sign a petition seeking the reinstatement of Linda Martin on the You're a Star panel.

At some level 'Shannon Airport Enthusiasts' have to get through their noggins that, through the mechanism of the compulsory stopover, they've been ****ting on the rest of us for decades. That's just not a strong position to be coming from with an expectation of support.

We're finally getting rid of the stopover, but only because the rest of the world is telling us we can't do that any more. I certainly don't want to see the Government pressurised into doing something equally stupid because of the ending of SNN-LHR.

The details of this have already been covered in threads in Commuting/Transport and Limerick City and there's little point in rehashing that all here again. But on the specific point of an online petition, I certainly will not be signing it.

Part of the problem with 'do something stupid for us because we want it' lobbies like this is the rest of us have real jobs and don't have time to organise a 'tell them to feck off' counter-campaign. But can I suggest that people who feel inclined might take a few moments to sent a message along the following lines to taoiseach@taoiseach.gov.ie

Dear Taoiseach

It is heartening to hear of the decision of Aer Lingus to establish their UK hub in Belfast International Airport, including the initiation of flights to London Heathrow. This move raises interesting commercial possibilities, and should act as a call for other Southern Irish companies to expand North of the border.

I hope that any parochial special pleading from vested interests in Shannon Airport will not be allowed to overshadow this significant initiative.

Yours …

pclancy wrote:
    That would be a nice move for them allright, theyd need something bigger then an ATR72 for the high density of that route though....

Whats the story with landing slots at heathrow though, does it go by airline or route?

It would be funny though to see an ATR 42 or ATR 72 landing in heathrow and taxing behind a Qantas 747:D or Virgin Atlantic A340-600:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

JSK 252 wrote:
    It would be funny though to see an ATR 42 or ATR 72 landing in heathrow and taxing behind a Qantas 747:D or Virgin Atlantic A340-600:D

KLM operate Fokker 50s into LHR on a scheduled service to Eindhoven. It is quite cool to see them interspersed amoung the heavy jets even though their relative lack of performance seems to affect the operation somewhat. This route is going to be dropped soon.

el tel wrote:
    KLM operate Fokker 50s into LHR on a scheduled service to Eindhoven. It is quite cool to see them interspersed amoung the heavy jets even though their relative lack of performance seems to affect the operation somewhat. This route is going to be dropped soon.

Its still funny though:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

A real Belfast plane would be funnier.

Shorts anyone?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Has a very impressive load factor.... Yes

Makes a lot of money.... Not according to EI.

Aer Lingus are no longer a public utility service, time for people to realise that.

A plc yes, but co would be foolish to completely ignore public/market opinion. The Irish Government still retains a 25% stake and one could argue they have a responsibity to all shareholders. Anyways companies that ignore public opinion in exclusive pursuit of profit do so at their peril.

Shannon has served AL well, time for AL to reciprocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Schuhart wrote:
    I think I'd rather sign a petition seeking the reinstatement of Linda Martin on the You're a Star panel.

But can I suggest that people who feel inclined might take a few moments to sent a message along the following lines to taoiseach@taoiseach.gov.ie

Dear Taoiseach

It is heartening to hear of the decision of Aer Lingus to establish their UK hub in Belfast International Airport, including the initiation of flights to London Heathrow. This move raises interesting commercial possibilities, and should act as a call for other Southern Irish companies to expand North of the border.

I hope that any parochial special pleading from vested interests in Shannon Airport will not be allowed to overshadow this significant initiative.

Yours …

Oh yes your own style of parochial thinking. Any chance you grasp the concept that companies based south of the border are in fact Irish companies or at least Irish based companies. A few english and/or geography grinds might help you??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

A plc yes, but co would be foolish to completely ignore public/market opinion. The Irish Government still retains a 25% stake and one could argue they have a responsibity to all shareholders. Anyways companies that ignore public opinion in exclusive pursuit of profit do so at their peril.

Shannon has served AL well, time for AL to reciprocate.

And EI served Shannon well, by losing money hand over fist on its operations through there on the long haul routes.

I agree that a company which completely ignores public opinion is treading on thin ice but EI is a long way from that attitude in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Aer Arann can't do LHR, nor can Ryanair or any of those cause there's no slots left there.
    Aer Arann should do a service to London City airport though.
    BA could do the LHR run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Anyways companies that ignore public opinion in exclusive pursuit of profit do so at their peril.

I think there's a certain Mr O'Leary who would disagree fundamentally with you on that one. And the share price and profit figures of Ryanair only corroborate the falsehood of your statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Anyways companies that ignore public opinion in exclusive pursuit of profit do so at their peril.

I doubt people outside of Shannon's catchment area will care much, it would be far more perilous to ignore profits in persuit of public opinion, which is what crippled state owned enterprise in this country for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Who needs Aer Lingus to keep Shannon ticking over when air-rage incidents are all the...rage?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0912/airrage.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 irishair100

:) hi all

any 1 into acars
    my web site
    http://www.irishaircraftspotting.com/

all the best from irishair:)

Advertisement