Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking and anxiety attacks

Options
  • 06-08-2007 10:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Feel that smoking..even just the odd cigarette contributed to increased anxiety levels. To be honest haven't been a regular smoker in years..but lapse at certain times...certain days....usually in the pub...but although nicotine gave my body a temporary high...I feel it also increased feelings of anxiety.

3 weeks since last cigarette..yes that's 4 or 5 times this year....but definitely anxiety levels fall when I quit completely..occasional cravings yes...but lower levels of anxiety...in combination of course with decaffinated coffee!

Has anyone else experienced this connection?

Incidentally when I read cases of Cannabis and mental Illness...I think, there's no doubt it contributes to destabilising a body...any such substance does ...not saying I personally smoke cannabis though..don't!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Yes, I occasionly suffer from that.
    I'm currently on 30-40 a day*, but do get the occasional panic attack when smoking.

The thing with me though, is that I suffer from panic attacks anyway.
    If i'm any way nervous, I can't be near cigarettes, including someone else smoking.

Nicotene is a stimulant.
    Despite what people may say about smoking relaxing you, it does the opposite.
    Ever notice a smoker who is worried about something?
    They have a cigarette to steady the nerves and end up smoking 5.
    This is bcause the cigarette doesn't steady their nerves. it makes things worse and they smoke another one to compensate and then another...

As for cannabis, I agree with you (experience on that one), but please don't start that debate here. I put up with enough of that crap in AH.
    As for your anxiety attacks, they could be linked to something else.
    See a doctor if they continue (or are already a regular thing).
    Also have a look here. You may find something useful.

*Yes, I see the irony of the "Giving up smoking" moderator being a heavy smoker.
    Fúck off. I'm quitting this week.
    Honestly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, cannabis, nicotine and caffeine all bring on panic attacks.. particularly caffeine, at least that's what my doctor said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Filan

yes my panic attacks are connected to other conflict...and have seen relevant therapists..they are not bad...don't play a significant role in my life -NOW- but several years ago they did.

But then and now nicotine exacerbates whatever anxiety there is..usually it's just a little...the odd time a lot..but smoking does increase whatever level of pre-existing stimulation

I have minuscule experience also..thankfully almost a decade ago last time..with Cannabis...and definitely unsettled me...no doubt in my mind that long term use could seriously impair certain people..ok I hope it dosen't turn into a debate!

Have actually come to realise that my lapses into nicotine are usually boredom related..if I'm somewhere on my own..usually a 'dead' pub..with absolutely nothing to focus on

Alcohol dosen't appear to impact

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well my first large attack was in a pub after having several pints, doc told me that while alcohol doesn't bring them on itself.. it muddles your thinking (i forget exactly how he put it), and can leave you unable to slow down or stop the effects from other stimulants, say nicotine, caffeine or hash.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 mazdafarl

Used to get very anxious after first fag in the day, havnt smoked in 4 weeks now so thats stopped. when i used to smoke hash it used to make me very anxious, almost psychosis thats main reason i stopped smoking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ThePriest

Nicotine and caffeine definitely cause anxiety attacks, i have the same problem myself but i wasnt always like that seems to be a recent thing. Found articles here which were very helpful.
    http://www.help-anxiety.net

Advertisement