Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

canon EOS 400d

Options
  • 05-08-2007 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

I just got a CANON EOS 400D ... very happy with it ..
    one of my photos i noticed what looked like a little dust on the sensor,
    (i have had the same problem with a powershot so i regognise when its
    dust on the sensor)

However other photos shot with the same settings didn-t have the mark, or when i tried to re create it by using the same settings it wasn-t there..

now i know the canon EOS 400D has a self cleaning sensor but to be honest i thought that was bolocks to sell it !!!

my question is , is it easy for dust to get onto the sensors in SLRs since one can remove the lenses ? and if you need to clean it , is it doable ? or do i need to take it to a dealer ? scary the way its happened so soon after getting it ..then again maybe the self cleaning really works!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

jackdaw wrote:
    I just got a CANON EOS 400D ... very happy with it ..
    one of my photos i noticed what looked like a little dust on the sensor,
    (i have had the same problem with a powershot so i regognise when its
    dust on the sensor)

However other photos shot with the same settings didn-t have the mark, or when i tried to re create it by using the same settings it wasn-t there..

now i know the canon EOS 400D has a self cleaning sensor but to be honest i thought that was bolocks to sell it !!!

my question is , is it easy for dust to get onto the sensors in SLRs since one can remove the lenses ? and if you need to clean it , is it doable ? or do i need to take it to a dealer ? scary the way its happened so soon after getting it ..then again maybe the self cleaning really works!

Dust will always get in, usually you just won't notice it. The sensor cleaning thing apparently is arse but it should shift dry stuff. There are DIY cleaning kits and tools etc if you want to do that. I've been lucky enough not to get any significant dust in my 350D (that I've yet to notice) so I'm not sure about which kits are best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

It'll be more noticable at the higher f-stops.. try taking a few shots at f-32..

As for cleaning kits/solutions - I think there's a sticky on the main Photography page.. but the copperhill kit seems to gets the thumbs up from what I read a while back.. I need to get one for my 350D.. a few annoying specs appearing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

ok yeah it seems to have gone i tried taking a pic of a white board at F16 and saw no dust .. the original was at f14 ... im sure the auto cleaning got it ..

but nice to know there is a DIY kit i can get .. what price range are they ??

Advertisement