Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iQon laptop booting problems

Options
  • 05-08-2007 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

i've had a iQon laptop for about a 13 months now and have totally defended it to the hills cuz it hasnt let me down.... until now...

basically this morning, after installing a Mikomi webcam, the laptop restarted itself, then, when it went to reboot, it boots up for about 3 minutes (gets past the password stage and loads up a few things in the system tray) and then the screen gets totally filled with a blue system error message. its only up for half a second (literally) so i cant read it in time until it restarts again.

basically, its a bit suspicious that the warranty just ended and it brakes down. i'm wondering if anybody knows what i could do to fix this? i dont have a windows cd becuz it came preloaded on the laptop. i'm wondering would installing windows vista on it fix anything?? or can i do anything myself? i'd be very eager not to give the laptop away anywhere because there is confidential information on the hard drive that i'd rather see destroyed than fall into the wrong hands (we all know the type!!)

thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Could be a dodgy driver.

Try doing a system restore/last good configuration.

Failing that, try safe mode. When you boot up, keep hitting F8 until you get a few boot options on the screen. If you boot in safe mode, you might be able to uninstall the drivers for the device.

The data can easily be recovered by removing the hard drive and putting it in an enclosure. Don't install Vista just yet -- until your data has been backed up anyway. You'll be well able to install Vista. Not hard at all. Just make sure your laptop's specs are up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 gottoomuchmilk

thanks a million, got one of them working, thanks to my n95 for being able to check out boards!

Advertisement