Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voltage Question?

Options
  • 05-08-2007 6:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi - I have a question that I have not been able to find the answer to anywhere online. I am about to move to Ireland from the States. I am a musician, and have an M-Audio Firewire Solo Recording Interface into which I plug a mic and my guitar. I use it with Garageband on my little laptop - an ibook G4. I know that the ibook automatically switches internally when presented with a different voltage - but I cannot find any information about a phantom power hardware attched to the ibook. I really don't want my M-Audio to go boom. Can anyone tell me if I need a transformer, or will the ibook's auto-switch take care of everything? As I said, the M-Audio runs off the ibook's power (although I can plug it in, it is not advisable).

Thanks for any help!

[:)]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

bluevoice wrote:
    Can anyone tell me if I need a transformer, or will the ibook's auto-switch take care of everything? As I said, the M-Audio runs off the ibook's power (although I can plug it in, it is not advisable).

If the unit is powered by the firewire port on the Mac, I don't what the problem is.

Firewire is firewire, no matter where it is used. The output voltage of a firewire (or usb, for that matter) port will be the same, irrespective of the input voltage to the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭bluevoice

Thanks for the info!

Advertisement