Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

powercity returns.

Options
  • 05-08-2007 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Bought a flat screen telly from powercity last year. It stopped working last night,plugged it in,nothing. i can't find any reciepts. If I can get a copy of my visa bill from the purchase will that be accepted as proof of purchase, if not, would throwing a wobbler about their s**t products help, possibly throwing the telly at an assistant. I'm just trying to work out all the angles.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

A friend had a problem with a product he bought from powercity that he had no receipt for. The product was a Hotpoint product that came with 5 year parts warranty and he needed to avail of this. He called into see them, they were very helpful.

The guy he spoke to was able to help, he asked for the phone number he gave powercity when he was buying the product. he didn't remember giving a phone number but he had given one. the guy entered his phone number and bingo, up came all my friends details, date purchased etc.

According to citizens information you can use credit card statement as proof of purchase. I have posted a link for you.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-complaints/how_to_make_a_consumer_complaint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

dubtom wrote:
    Bought a flat screen telly from powercity last year. It stopped working last night,plugged it in,nothing. i can't find any reciepts. If I can get a copy of my visa bill from the purchase will that be accepted as proof of purchase, if not, would throwing a wobbler about their s**t products help, possibly throwing the telly at an assistant. I'm just trying to work out all the angles.
    Drop into your local branch with the visa card itself - powercity are able to trace CC and laser transactions put through on their system over the last 12 months, and from this they can pull up receipts/invoices. If it was a particularly large or expensive TV, or you were given a discount, or it was delivered, then chances are the salesperson would have taken your name and phone number - knowing this info will also mean the rep will be able to pull up your info straightaway. Failing that they'll accept a visa statement, but it will take a while to find out the transaction details to match that visa payment - better if it can be matched through either of the ways mentioned above first.

If it is a Philips, Beko, LG, Walker or Nordmende TV then it'll be booked in for repair by powercity. If it is another brand then it may be an in home service - Sony and Samsung TVs are two such brands which are in home service ONLY - check beforehand!!!

And trust me, throwing a wobbler at the assistant will most likely get you nowhere fast!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,783 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It is a legal requirement to take your name and address when selling a television. They should be able to root the details out from this (if they want to).

Power City seems to be an ok place for returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Shifty wrote:

According to citizens information you can use credit card statement as proof of purchase. I have posted a link for you.

It says you could not you can. I don't see most retailers retailers accepting a credit card statement, as all it shows is you made a purchase not what you bought, especially when it's an electrical item, as you'd also need a serial number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It is a legal requirement to take your name and address when selling a television.
    Where this is certainly the situation in the UK, relating to TV licencing etc. I don't think it actually applies here in the Republic too. Could be wrong though.

• Advertisement

You could be wrong alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

It is a legal requirement to take your name and address when selling a television.

Can you provide a quote from the relevent legislation to back this claim up? I think you'll find you're wrong...

Flatscreen = Relatively expensive so they would have taken some details at the very least a phone number so just drop in and they'll get you sorted as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I work for said company. Advice given thus far is correct, except for the Sony/Samsung point made by one of the posters. If a customer bought one of these televisions, and lives somewhere outside their "in home service" Power City will book in the tv for repair, and then collected by Sony/Samsung.

Example: Sony wouldn't collect a 40" S series from Navan. :rolleyes:

But for th OP, you more than likely gave a phone number, which is saved on the system, failing that, a credit card statement is fine.

Can you provide a quote from the relevent legislation to back this claim up? I think you'll find you're wrong...

I think you'll find I'm right. Section 3 of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1972. See also Schedule 1.

Antoin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

I think you'll find I'm right. Section 3 of the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1972. See also Schedule 1.

Antoin.

wow... ive worked for two of the biggest electrical retailers in the last few years and nobody ive ever worked with was under the impression that you had to do that... :confused:

• Advertisement

The last TV thing I bought was in aldi (a tuner that came free with one of their laptops). They had a special pad to write down the name and address of everyone who they sold a unit to. That's Germans for you, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

I bought a telly in Tesco a few weeks back and they didn't ask for any address details! It is certainly not a legal requirement in Ireland and that's from personal knowlegde.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

have to agree with other posters there is no legal requirement for your details to be taken while buying a TV.

this system does exist in the UK though and is used to help track down non payers of the telly license over there

btw I think you'll find your wrong actually Wireless Telegraphy Act 1972 states that dealers must register their details. says nothing about registering details of buyers of TVs that I can see

Read it again a bit more carefully. Transactions involving the sale of televisions to consumers must be reported.

3.—(1) Subject to subsections (2) and (3) of this section, every registered dealer required to give a notice under section 2 of this Act who after the expiration of the period within which he is required to give that notice—

( a ) sells a television set by wholesale or by retail;

( b ) lets a television set on a hire contract or on a hire-purchase agreement; or

( c ) arranges for a television set to be sold or let as aforesaid to any person by another television dealer,

shall, in relation to that sale or letting, give to the Minister a notice containing the particulars specified in Part I of the Schedule to this Act and make a record of the particulars specified in that Part, and the particulars shall be given to the Minister not later than—

(i) in case a time is specified in the said Schedule in relation to the particulars, that time, and

(ii) in any other case, the last day of the month which follows the month during which the sale or letting was made.

Schedule I says:
    PART I

Particulars to be notified and recorded pursuant to section 3 (1).

1. The date of the sale or letting.

2. The name and address of the buyer or hirer.

3. The make and type of television set and in particular whether it is (a) designed for reception in colour, and (b) portable.

4. In the case of a sale, whether the price is payable by instalments and, in the case of a letting, whether it is a letting on hire or hire-purchase.

5. In the case of a credit sale or a letting, the name and address of the seller or owner and the name and address of any person who is to receive any payment or instalment of or towards the price or by way of rent in respect of the credit sale or the letting.

6. If the set has been or is to be installed by the registered dealer or another person to his order, the address of the premises at which it has been or is to be installed and the name of the occupier (if known) of those premises.

Within 30 days of the knowledge coming to the information of the registered dealer concerned.

7. In case the dealer is himself the seller or owner or such payments or instalments are to be received by the dealer or collected by him on behalf of the seller or owner, any change in the address of the buyer or hirer.

8. If after the date of the sale or letting any payments of or towards the price or by way of rent in respect of the sale or letting which would otherwise be received or collected by the dealer are to be received or collected by another person, the name and address of of that other person.

Advertisement