Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myzone email

Options
  • 05-08-2007 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

You know that Myzone email account thing.
    When you switch over, does your Mymail account dissapear along with all your old emails or do the emails transfer over to the Myzone account?

Also, if you already have a gmail account, is there any way to merge the two?

Will the new email addressess be still "@tcd.ie" ??

Thanks

Also, is it right to create a new thread for this kind of thing and we shouldn't bring up old threads? Just wondering?

Comments

What I do is I forward everything form @tcd.ie to @gmail.com, since I had my tcd.ie account previously forwarded to gmail.com prior to MyZone.tcd.ie. Not sure on the ins and outs of it though.

I do know you can 'mask' your gmail.com in some way to appear like it's coming from your tcd.ie account, or perhaps I remember incorrectly...

And I really doubt there's any problems with starting new threads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

You can get your tcd.ie account to download your Gmail.com emails via POP, and vice versa; I haven't tried it but it would probably work, and I know it can be done with non-Gmail addresses in any case. And the same probably applies to their "send mail as" function. (Just go into settings, then accounts for more info.) I've never tried it, because I like to keep my Gmail.com and tcd.ie addresses separate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

Thanks guys,

so by saying I could forward my tcd.ie emails to the new gmail account means the Mymail account won't get deleted as soon as I switch over?

Mine hasn't as of yet. I actually set mine to copy all the posts over for some unknown reason.

I'm not sure if there's a requirement to log in after a certain number of days or not, or whether forwarding to the account that's used (and the checking of the that account) means the others stay open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

I switched over, it was very simple.

Does Mymail have a way to forward all messages from the inbox or do you need to manually go into each message and enter email address and forward from there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Instructions on how to import messages here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

go to settings and accounts to add your tcd email address and when your sending emails i think there's drop down scroll bar thing where you can select which email address to send from.

run a search on the ISS services website for forwarding emails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Follow the guide on ISS's web page and you;ll get to transfer all your emails across painlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭nutball

I transferred everything from mymail and my existing gmail account into my new myzone account... Now I realise that, for various reasons, I ought to have transferred it all into my existing gmail account.

Anyway, I've tried, but it's just not working. Anyone have any idea which server name etc to use? 'POP server: mail.tcd.ie' doesn't work, presumably because that's trying to fetch stuff from mymail instead of myzone, but it's what comes up automatically when I put in my address as ...@tcd.ie. Have tried changing it to myzone.tcd.ie, but it just returns "There was a problem connecting to myzone.tcd.ie." Boo. And I haven't a clue...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

With Thunderbird:

First make sure you have POP set up in your online gmail settings.
    Make a new thunderbird account with the following settings (Edit>Account Settings)

Server name (Incoming mail) : pop.gmail.com
    Port 995
    Username name@tcd.ie
    Select "SSL"
    DONT select "Use secure autentication"
    Rest is optional

To use you're TCD mail for outgoing mail (Outgoing mail (SMTP))

Server name: smtp.gmail.com
    Port 587
    Select "Use name and password"
    username: name@tcd.ie
    select "TLS"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭nutball

Thanks TimAy! Seems to be working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sallymarie

I was just wondering, is it possible to import existing mail from my myzone account in to my gmail account so that I have all my mail together. I want to start using my gmail as my main address, but will need many of the emails from my myzone account for reference etc.

I have tried going in to the account settings of my Gmail account, and adding my myzone account, but it will not let me do this. Im not sure if it is a problem with POP server or the format of the address? Is it Gmail or TCD?

I saw your response above to a similar problem, and was just wondering if there is any way to do this without using an external program like Thunderbird?

Thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

the only way I can figure out how to do it is to download all your mail to thunderbird and then forward it all to gmail....must be a better way to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

You can do this by setting up your myzone as an extra account in gmail. You need to enable POP in your myzone settings first though, then follow instructions on IS Services website.

Advertisement