Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC Windows, who's the best?

Options
  • 04-08-2007 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We got some quotes for new PVC windows on our apartment, and I'd love to know what you all think, and especially if anyone can recommend any other Windows Companies that we can talk to.

Our apartment has a front door, nearly full height/full width windows on the front, one small window to the side, sliding doors at the back, and also a medium sized bedroom window.

Regency were the most expensive at ~6500, but they were the most impressive. They really seem to know their stuff, and have a deal with a German company called Veka who offer a 10 year guarantee on everything you buy.

Senator were nearly as impressive as Regency, and a good bit cheaper at ~5500. They had pretty much the same stuff, but a small bit less of a choice.

So, has anyone done business with Senator or Regency? Were you happy with their service and their price? Or is there some company out there I missed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭pajoemccracken

Hi,
    Have you looked at www.rationel.ie their windows are wooden double glazed with beautiful colours. I went with Munster joinery for our self buid 4 years ago as got very good price for 23 windows(you get what you pay for). We were skint at the time and were trying to keep the mortgage as low as possibel. If I had my time over I would have gone for quality such as senator offer or beautiful wood windows like rationel.
    Pajoe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

http://www.senator-windows.ie/arated.html#

shows an A rated window, with the rating coming, on a voluntary basis, from a UK based outfit.

Senator are advertising this at present and it featured in IT on friday last 17th, Business supplement page 8, eighth paragraph.

Is this UK based rating valid in 26 counties?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shroom2

I got munster windows last year because i didnt know any better, and they where cheap. let me tell you now I wish i did'nt. its like putting remold tyres on a porsche.
    if i had the money I would change them. Since then I have learned a few things, like:
    What you should ask the window company before you buy is:

Is it a fully welded window? (if not its not fully sealed).
    What is the U-value of the window (energy rating)? the lower the better.
    Is it internally beaded? ( glass can only be removed from inside).
    Is it low maintance? wooden windows are high maintance, and even the best tend to warp in exposed areas.
    If its a coloured window, is it the same colour inside and out? ( some compaines just use a coloured foil on the outside of the window)
    And last of all, NEVER deal with pushy sales men, they are con-men who have ruined a lot of old and young peoples lives.
    I hope that my advice is helpfull to somebody that are ready to buy windows
    and to shop around for a better quality windows.

Advertisement