Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a second hand van

Options
  • 04-08-2007 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Ok here is the story - sorry if its a bit long but i'll try my best to keep it as short as possible.

Recently bought a second hand van (AS IS) without waranty. When I was in the garage the van had trouble starting and they had a mechanic look at it. After this It was said that it was just a loose wire or something. The van started and I drove it away thinking that the problem had been solved. I only got two days driving out of the van before it would not start for me. Because I bought it without waranty and I thought it was only a small problem I got it towed to a main dealer of the van. It was not the same Dealer which I bought the van off as they don't deal in this sort of van as new. I have now discovered that van will cost me nearlly 1700 Euro to get back on the road again. I am considering taking the garage to court to claim for that amount since I was told that the van was in working order when I bought it.

Here are some legall facts and consumer rights I have found on the subject.

Responsibility on the seller:

A motor vehicle must be in
    roadworthy condition when sold to a
    consumer. This means that it must be
    safe for the user, and for other road
    users. It is an offence under the Sale
    of Goods & Supply of Services Act,
    1980 to sell a car to a consumer which
    is not roadworthy. It is also an offence
    under Road Traffic legislation which is
    enforced by the Gardaí.

Sale of Goods Act:

The Sale of Goods Act also requires
    that all goods sold should be:
    ✽ Of merchantable quality
    (reasonable, acceptable quality
    given what was said about them
    and taking into account the age
    and history of the vehicle).
    ✽ Fit for the purpose they are
    intended to be used for.
    ✽ As described.

Do you think I would have a case against the garage on this. All thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

The only downfalls I could see are.

I brought the vehicle to another garage to be looked at.

The fact that I bought the van AS IS dosn't seem to me like a valid point for the garage to use. Since I was told that van was in working order when I bought it. Even though I bought it AS IS I still expected to get more than two days driving from it.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I always assumed that buying a vehicle 'sold as seen' puts the onus (and risk) on the buyer. I would have thought it would remove your normal statutory rights. But hopefully someone will shed a clearer legal light on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

IMO you're in a tight spot. Doubt if you have any comeback. Buying anything 'as seen' is fraught with risk, and in the case of a secondhand van, not a good idea, unless you are able to tackle any problems/faults that will arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Basically it was not fit for the purpose it was sold for - simple as.

A garage warranty is in ADDITION to the normal terms of the sale of goods act.

Doesn't matter if its second hand or new, it must be fit for purpose - e'g' driving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

If it was driven from the garage ,does this not mean it was deal done ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

To my mind, the OP was not dealing as a consumer, and so the sale of goods acts may not fully apply and his rights may be fairly limited.

But this is definitely something that would need advice from the ODCA or a solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

if it was bought from a garage then the consumer act applies. wheter a car was bought new or second hand it must be in decent mechanical order unless otherwise stated to the OP beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The problem is not that the garage isn't a garage, the problem is that the OP doesn't appear to be a consumer in the ordinary sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Dmtiling wrote:
    The only downfalls I could see are.

I brought the vehicle to another garage to be looked at.
    Doesn't matter. If anything it adds weight to your argument (i.e. it was qualified opinion).
    Dmtiling wrote:
    The fact that I bought the van AS IS dosn't seem to me like a valid point for the garage to use. Since I was told that van was in working order when I bought it. Even though I bought it AS IS I still expected to get more than two days driving from it.
    See this is the tricky one. It's all down to what is reasonable. I'd argue it's reasonable to expect more than 2 days driving from a van I bought. However, I'd also argue that it's not reasonable to buy a van without a qualified opinion (that of a mechanical inspector, for e.g.), and you're somewhere in the middle! Is it the same problem that happened on the day you left the garage (failing to start?). If so, I'd argue (as a reasonable man ;) ) that you are in a weaker position.

But this is definitely something that would need advice from the ODCA or a solicitor.
    Mizacly!

Advertisement