Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torrential Rain and Floods possible late tonight early Sunday.

Options
  • 04-08-2007 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

A moisture laden secondary LP will move across Ireland during this evening
    and continue to push north early Sunday.

The tight temperature gradient will enhance rainfall amounts and currently the GFS is predicting some big falls of rain countrywide, especially in the south west.

Light rain will push into all areas during today and become progressively heavier towards morning with significant rainfall rates possible in some locations.

Upto 80mm of rain is possible in Cork and Kerry and 50/60mm possible widely across the country.

Rtavn244.png

More later

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Lol, i posted the same thing a minute later in the other thread:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

trogdor wrote:
    Lol, i posted the same thing a minute later in the other thread:D
    beat ya:D ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Raining lightly here for last half hour or so. Temp is a humid 19.2c
    Radar doesn't show much heavy rain at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

16.3°C and 86% humidity here, loads of moisture in this air stream.
    Could be some big totals in places I think.
    Feels like a proper summer evening at last, shame it wasnt a month or two ago to enjoy the long evenings - Its an April sun, which is the last time it was nice!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

You got sun there this evening?
    Got wet here from about 6pm.

Concur on the fear of the rain.
    Colder air coliding with the warm air mass should explode the rainfall :(

• Advertisement

Is the rain forecast to intensify because at the moment it's really nothing special, just light to moderate?

rc28 wrote:
    Is the rain forecast to intensify because at the moment it's really nothing special, just light to moderate?
    Yup, it's not to really get goin untill the early hours

Early tomorrow looks a wee bit wet! ;)

Rtavn124.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh goody! Its already pretty damned wet down here.

Mike.

Early tomorrow looks a wee bit wet! ;)

Rtavn124.png
    Is it just me or has the 18z upped the rainfall intensity than what was shown on the 12z? There seems to be more purple over southern half of ireland?

• Advertisement

Quite wet here too but just persistant light stuff so far,the heavy stuff is still west of the East.
    Just restarted the main pc here,so live weather is back hopefully.

The BBC 24 graphics now mirrors the 18z GFS in terms of the overnight rain and tomorrow - heaviest in munster-50mm's or more is highly likely.

I'm a fan of the GFS within an 18 or 12hr frame,it's usually very accurate for then so I'm expecting a lot of rain... arrgh!

Tristrame wrote:
    Quite wet here too but just persistant light stuff so far,the heavy stuff is still west of the East.
    Same here, 3.3mm since it started at around 10

Damn, I wish the sky was clear so we could see the meteorite display:
    http://theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/forums/1/297371/ShowThread.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

rc28 wrote:
    Damn, I wish the sky was clear so we could see the meteorite display:
    http://theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/forums/1/297371/ShowThread.aspx
    The same describtion of what they are talking about on two is mentioned here on YT, a report from may of a sighting in bangor. There are no metor events forecasted for tonite, what make you think thats what it is?. Just heard this from radio5

Hal1 wrote:
    The same describtion of what they are talking about on two is mentioned here on YT, a report from may of a sighting in bangor. There are no metor events forecasted for tonite, what make you think thats what it is?. Just heard this from radio5
    I have no idea what it is- I couldn't think of anything else but it has now been confirmed that it is not astronomical, ruling out meteors etc.That video you posted is very similar to what's being seen across England tonight, except there are more of them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDEWZq397Lc

Already have an impressive 20.1mm rain since midnight here. Looking at the radar looks like plenty more to come, going to break my daily record for sure.

I wonder what totals are being recorded in the west and south west - been constantly under yellow and pink on the met éireann radar since yesterday afternoon.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Longfield wrote:
    Already have an impressive 20.1mm rain since midnight here. Looking at the radar looks like plenty more to come, going to break my daily record for sure.

I wonder what totals are being recorded in the west and south west - been constantly under yellow and pink on the met éireann radar since yesterday afternoon.

Totals (mm) for 4th/5th to 07z

Roches Point (41 m) 38.0
    Cork-Corcaigh (162 m) 34.0
    Valentia Island (30 m) 31.0
    Shannon (20 m) 26.0
    Birr (72 m) 23.0
    Dublin Csmt Aero (93 m) 22.0
    Mullingar (104 m) 22.0
    Dublin AP (85 m) 16.0
    Kilkenny (64 m) 16.0

Thanks Mothman, must be a lot of flooding around the country given the sodden ground before this even started.
    The uk met office fax charts seem to be trying to develop a high late next week. Given the propensity of patterns locking in of late, here's hoping it pans out and gives us a late summer.

To 08z

Roches Point (41 m) 41.0
    Cork-Corcaigh (162 m) 37.0
    Shannon (20 m) 29.0
    Birr (72 m) 26.0
    Dublin Csmt Aero (93 m) 25.0
    Mullingar (104 m) 22.0 (to 07z)
    Kilkenny (64 m) 20.0
    Dublin AP (85 m) 18.0
    Kilkenny (64 m) 20.0

Only 13.2mm here so far-consistent with that bit of East wexford and sout wicklow thats avoided most of the heavier rain
    Totally tipping it down now though

currently 14mm/hr

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tipping down since sometimes during the night

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Just persistent lightish stuff here.
    14.7mm

totals 4/5th to 10z

Until the 1pm update from weatheronline, these figures are getting approximate. eg, Mullingar missed an hour earlier so I put in a guessimate for that hour.

Roches Point (41 m) 42.0
    Cork-Corcaigh (162 m) 37.0
    Dublin Csmt Aero (93 m) 34.0
    Mullingar (104 m) 33.0
    Birr (72 m) 31.0
    Shannon (20 m) 30.0
    Kilkenny (64 m) 22.0
    Dublin AP (85 m) 20.0

Rain is getting lighter after a few heavy bursts earlier on. It feels much cooler at 13.6c
    Ground is waterlogged again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Well dunno about the rest of you but the NE has seen persistant heavy rain for the last 15 hours or so...I don't have a weather station but I did leave a pot with brushes in it outside yesterday to soak....the pot has only been getting raindrops (nothing being channeled into it) and the water level is at least 1.5-2" higher than it was yesterday...maybe more.

21.1mm here so approaching an inch and we've been avoiding the heaviest of this.
    It was quite heavy between about 930 am and 11am.
    Presently it's wet but raining lightly and only just recordable Davis wise.

Still raining here, over 30mm today.

Meanwhile London is at 27c and set to reach 30c, its also very sunny!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I'd be about the same as Snowbie, just light (moderate once or twice) persistent rain. It looks much heavier 10 miles west of me though.

The wind is increasingly coming from the north.

By the looks of random containers and pots, there's been about 1 inch of rain or mabye a bit more since this rain started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Longfield wrote:
    Still raining here, over 30mm today.

Yes - 29.46mm here today so far. As usual, we are getting more than our colleagues at the coast...

A

Advertisement