Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Met Eireann

Options
  • 04-08-2007 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭

do they know what they are talking about any more?? they just contimuesly say its going to be showery. they dont have a clue and what they say never hqappens in wexford!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'd say its because of your location *ahem*.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

When it's going to be showery you can't say much more than...it's going to be showery. It can only be predicted whether an area will have showers, as when the conditions are right they form pretty randomly. As for not happening in Wexford, i dunno, drop them an email and see what they think. Or save a few of their forecasts and then compare them to whats actually happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Same here but if you live in the south east corner you know the westerly showers have pretty much died away before they can reach this part of the world.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think that Met Eireann could be more specific than "it's going to be showery". It's not that hard to predict on a provincial level. It doesn't take much to work out which half of the country is more likely to experience showers on any given day.

I wouldn't have to be giving weather forecasts to various farmers if Met Eireann could be even a bit more specific.

They could be wrong on occasions, but if they're right more often than not, surely being a bit more specific is worth a try??

I remember Evelyn Cusack (I think) drawing an area in Ireland where snow was likely, back when we had that stalling front colliding with an easterly in early Feb. It wasn't very accurate but at least they tried??

I think that Met Eireann could be more specific than "it's going to be showery". It's not that hard to predict on a provincial level. It doesn't take much to work out which half of the country is more likely to experience showers on any given day.

I wouldn't have to be giving weather forecasts to various farmers if Met Eireann could be even a bit more specific.

They could be wrong on occasions, but if they're right more often than not, surely being a bit more specific is worth a try??

I remember Evelyn Cusack (I think) drawing an area in Ireland where snow was likely, back when we had that stalling front colliding with an easterly in early Feb. It wasn't very accurate but at least they tried??
    Hence, the regional forecasts;)
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/regional.asp

• Advertisement

Thanks, but I'm well aware of them. And damn all use they were this week, as the forecast was virtually the same for any region, and Dublin, Leinster and Ulster had identical forecasts one occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

timmywex wrote:
    do they know what they are talking about any more?? they just contimuesly say its going to be showery. they dont have a clue and what they say never hqappens in wexford!!
    Wind and topography over land can alter the distribution of rainfall in this country not only in Wexford.Where there is surface warming,showers will form.Showers can die as quick as they can form,so it can be impossible to predict where exactly they will occur.We all see the radar when you think a thundery downpour be arriving and then you get a light shower moments later.

Hills,mountains can aid in the building of showers and their death.Valley heating,orographic lift can build a shower in certain conditions but also mountains can sponge the moisture on the windward side of the slope,leaving the leeside a couple of miles away dry.Dublin,Wicklow and Wexford can see both of these affects from the Wicklow range throughout the year depending on wind direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

They used to have pictures of all the forecasters on there web site, now its gone? Has any one seen the new young forecasters, with there fancy hair do,s!

Usualy on after the one o clock news. One chap looked as if he was out of a boy band.

Keep it real please, dont try and make weather forecasting trendy, you,ll ruin it.

God be with the days when Dr adain Nulty would sit beside his little tv screen and tell us it was going to rain or shine.

Met eireann (tv forecasts) need to make a lot more effort and comuicate more on how the weather is going to unfold. Plenty of new charts are needed, Like marking out areas of frost snow and ice in winter, percentage areas of risk etc. They need to get excited about the weather again, like in the 80,s. The presenters need to look like they,ve won 16 million euros.

They need to point gently to there maps, caress them! Then dive in with all the facts and figures, they need to blow are minds away with each tighting of an isobar, each minus tempeture, each gale, each god nows what else, then tell us its going to be ok....and the storm will blow its self out over the irish sea...then a wick wick from gerry or a good evening from evelyin.

We need more drama in our forecasts, we need charactors that stick in our mind, not blow in,s.

Theres no passion in met eireanns tv weather forecasts anymore.

Bring it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Kippure wrote:
    They used to have pictures of all the forecasters on there web site, now its gone? Has any one seen the new young forecasters, with there fancy hair do,s!

Usualy on after the one o clock news. One chap looked as if he was out of a boy band.

Lol! I noticed that one too, he looks about 15 and ,of course, is not a meteorologist.

I agree about the better presenting too because I've watched a few americasn ones and they go into way more detail and explain it for everyone to understand. At the moment though they are way better than bbc's which have those awful brown graphics.

rc28 wrote:
    Lol! I noticed that one too, he looks about 15 and ,of course, is not a meteorologist.

I agree about the better presenting too because I've watched a few americasn ones and they go into way more detail and explain it for everyone to understand. At the moment though they are way better than bbc's which have those awful brown graphics.

That really annoys me big time , some one presenting the weather and not a meterorologist. They know nothing about weather, so there lacks any passion that a proper professional meterologist would put in.

• Advertisement

I remember that allright, I think they got rid of the forecasters section when they redesigned met.ie. It was an interesting read. [irony]Made you wonder who'd be mad enough to want to become a meteorologist[/irony]

I haven't seen Aidan Nulty in an age, but I know he's still working in the met.

Dr.Aidan McNulty and Gerald Fleming are the top dogs in the met me thinks at this stage.Both are brilliant presenters/forecasters in their day and always ramped up the snow in the 80s.Also it was Gerry that had the magic wand in hand and a black/white map of Ireland on the wall in the background that forecasted on the severe 1985 storm after the teatime news that evening.

Aidan McNulty I know anyway is high up in the Met, but it's Ger Fleming who's still doing the forecasting. How long has Ger Fleming been doing the TV forecasts?

Seems like eterninty.:D

Saw a program once that Ger attends seminars and conferences in Bracknell and gives speeches over there in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Snowbie wrote:
    Seems like eterninty.:D

Saw a program once that Ger attends seminars and conferences in Bracknell and gives speeches over there in the UK.

I think Gerald Fleming is one of the top guys in there, he was the main man when i was in there around 2 years ago ;)

As i said already i think so too,he gave my physics class a tour when i was there last a very long time ago

On a side note DapperGent co mod of weather has left Met Éireann and should by today have reached the warmer climes of the carribean where he will be for the next couple of years.

He very kindly assisted in the setting up of this forum with me 4 years ago and I asked that he co mod it.
    The nature of his work in Glasnevin though procluded him from posting much here but he was always reading it.

Now we should have first hand and Expert reports of tropical weather hopefully when he gets settled in.

Best of luck DapperGent!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

It's not looking good for the rest of our summer if the Met guys are heading straight to the carribean :D

I hope he enjoys it.

Tristrame wrote:
    On a side note DapperGent co mod of weather has left Met Éireann and should by today have reached the warmer climes of the carribean where he will be for the next couple of years.

He very kindly assisted in the setting up of this forum with me 4 years ago and I asked that he co mod it.
    The nature of his work in Glasnevin though procluded him from posting much here but he was always reading it.

Now we should have first hand and Expert reports of tropical weather hopefully when he gets settled in.

Best of luck DapperGent!
    Dapper has not had enough time to co-mod this forum with me within the last year due to personal reasons and also emigrating and has quit modding this forum with me over a month ago.He has PM'ed an admin to be removed but has not yet happened.
    Btw,he has'nt work in Glasnevin for some time and found reading this forum and also working in the service a bit much,understanably so.

Best of luck Dapper in your new climate.

Snowbie wrote:
    Dapper has not had enough time to co-mod this forum with me within the last year due to personal reasons and also emigrating and has quit modding this forum with me over a month ago.He has PM'ed an admin to be removed but has not yet happened.
    You know as much as I do about that but maybe a bit less ;)
    Btw,he has'nt work in Glasnevin for some time and found reading this forum and also working in the service a bit much,understanably so.
    I knew he wasn't in Glasnevin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Do i tense abit of friction above

Anyway i wish Dapper the best, never actually saw him post much, hope he enjoys the warmer climes.

I find Met Eireann do their best but they are a few steps behind the likes of the UK Metoffice, well, a good few.

Indeed they do there best, i think what really annoys them at times is the time restrait they work under to deliver an informed forecast. You can see when the adds cut in, or there cut off , they get really P#@=- off. Rte should allow more time to deliver the forecast.

The news just delivers bad news for approx 45mins and still we are none the better, but the weather forecast gets 3mins . The weather has alot of influnce on our daily lives and so should be given the time.

I'd be like WC. I can only remember the name from my early days on boards. I can truthfully say that I don't remember anything bad about him, for what it's worth. It's a good time to go to the Carribean, what with this miserable summer and all. He should hopefully enjoy it more than these meagre climes.

I'm sure that the mods between them know about Dappergent's absence, so that's good enough for me. It will be great to see another expert posting again in the forum, and I hope he will feel welcome among the current bunch:D

Billy the Squid should be delighted by the news of a boards poster out in the Carribean!

Tristrame wrote:
    You know as much as I do about that but maybe a bit less ;)
    I knew he wasn't in Glasnevin...
    Even if Dapper didnt post or mod here regular it doesn't mean we didn't keep in contact,afterall he was my co-mod.I have the PM's,I knew what his intentions where and his place of work,you seem to be posting several times over the last year something completely different to where he was working but apparently i know "a bit less":confused: .Its why i replied to your first post here in this thread.

Now all this is irrelevant now and is unfair to Dapper to be commenting on his own personal life that we shall leave it there.He served this forum well but like you has decided to quit modding this forum ye setup for your own personal reasons.Its no big deal,we just move on.:)

Now we have agreed on a new co-mod and will PM that person when other things are sorted out.

Lol at the reaction to an innocent post...
    I agree with one thing regarding posts on the internet and that is-The spoken word contains a lot more information than the written word.

Ergo I don't draw conclusions I'm not sure about from posts anywhere because I've learned that they are a sentence that can be taken completely out of context as appears to have happened here again.

Thats one bit of advice I'd give to posters everywhere-don't assume a meaning from a post that probably isn't there.

As to where Dapper was working,I'm quite proud of Dapper's association with Glasnevin and his association with this board so I'm bound to mention it often and will continue to do so where relevant.If you read into it snowbie that I think that as co mod you two don't speak,I have to say that thought never crossed my mind.

It brings me back to what I said just now,the written word does not contain the information of the spoken.

Frankly these kinds of unnecessary exchanges distract from my love of weather so I'd prefer if we didn't have any more of them.

Anyway....I was in contact with them before, about a radar issue on my site. Was told i could use it then contacted by someone else, told it was copyright infringment and that i never even sought permission, and now appearantly it's ok again:rolleyes:(going off on a rant, better stop now:D) I asked them whether they do job placements for 4th year. They said that they usually do, but they're refurbishing or something this year, so they're not doing any placements. Haven't given up yet though, have one or two other links into the met i think/hope.

trogdor wrote:
    Anyway....I was in contact with them before, about a radar issue on my site. Was told i could use it then contacted by someone else, told it was copyright infringment and that i never even sought permission, and now appearantly it's ok again:rolleyes:(going off on a rant, better stop now:D) I asked them whether they do job placements for 4th year. They said that they usually do, but they're refurbishing or something this year, so they're not doing any placements. Haven't given up yet though, have one or two other links into the met i think/hope.
    I tried to get work experience with them for 4th year and rang them about 8 months in advance but I was told the entire year was booked out- i was gutted.You have links though so hopefully you'll have more luck.
    Anyway on the topic of meteireann; are they really underfunded? I find it ridiculous that they still haven't fixed the shannon radar yet. Surely given the fact that a radar is extremely important (airports etc) they would have made it a priority by now?
    What makes it even harder to understand (and even more embarassing)is that Ireland is supposed to be one of the wealthiest countries in Europe

rc28 wrote:
    I tried to get work experience with them for 4th year and rang them about 8 months in advance but I was told the entire year was booked out- i was gutted.You have links though so hopefully you'll have more luck.
    Anyway on the topic of meteireann; are they really underfunded? I find it ridiculous that they still haven't fixed the shannon radar yet. Surely given the fact that a radar is extremely important (airports etc) they would have made it a priority by now?
    What makes it even harder to understand (and even more embarassing)is that Ireland is supposed to be one of the wealthiest countries in Europe

Supposed to be the 2nd richest country in the world actually.

Dont the airports have their own radars? The aircraft do too? Dont they?

Supposed to be the 2nd richest country in the world actually.
    5th actually:p (http://www.aneki.com/richest.html)
    Although maybe that link is out of date?
    Dont the airports have their own radars? The aircraft do too? Dont they?
    I would hope they have a seperate one for the aircraft but the shannon one is at the airport and it frequenty breaks down. I remember e-mailing netweather at the end of last year about signing up to their 5minute radar thing. I asked would the faulty shannon radar work properly anytime soon (before I considered buying the subscription) and he said he was told by meteireann that they were fixing it at the time and it would be finished very soon but now it's august and still nothing.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't worry about the aircraft;)

They are made of metal and are large, so they use different frequencies and technologies to locate them. Or at least they would use different radar systems.

Met eireann would want to sort it out. Especially when the UKMO and us here on boards and any other users/observers of the radar know it's been occasionally borked as far as I can remember.

Advertisement