Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advive Needed, looking to buy Laptop for Home & Work

Options
  • 03-08-2007 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a few bob put by to pick up a new laptop.

I want it future proofed, 250 g hard drive, 1024 dual core processor, 17" screen & wireless internet.

I hear Harvey Norman has a sale on ....

Is it worth my while goin up North???

All advice appreciated.

Bros

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

BROS wrote:
    I hear Harvey Norman has a sale on ....

Harvey Norman (along with most electrical retailers) tend to be over-priced for the spec. Try PC World, you *might* get a bargain.
    BROS wrote:
    Is it worth my while goin up North???

I would look carefully into the support/warranty - it may not cover you in the Republic. You are pretty buggered if something goes wrong. Personally, I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SpicyNoodle

Why not visit the Dell website, cheap and you can choose what you want.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/emea/segments/odg_search?c=ie&l=en&s=gen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

yeah when it comes to laptops you cant really get better value than dell. steer well clear of harvey normans they're swindlers or salesmen it's hard to tell the difference. Buy online you cant do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Buy online you cant do better.

Just remember, not everybody is comfortable buying something they haven't "touched". Retailers are a necessary evil for these people. They just have to be prepared to pay over the odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

BROS wrote:
    I want it future proofed, 250 g hard drive, 1024 dual core processor, 17" screen & wireless internet.

You can't future proof a computer. A computer is a tool. Buy the spec to do the job you want it to do now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭BROS

Thank you all. I have dealt with Dell in the past, so I'll probably go down that route again.

Again, many thanks for your sound advice.

Bros

• Registered Users Posts: 10,286 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

tom dunne wrote:
    Just remember, not everybody is comfortable buying something they haven't "touched". Retailers are a necessary evil for these people. They just have to be prepared to pay over the odds.

Suppose what you could do there would be to go into a shop, have a look at what you like, then buy it online, far cheaper...

http://www.aldi.ie/images/data_product/123386315546a5fa2387781.pdf

What do you think???

Seems to do everything I want + 36 month warranty + Software bundle.

All views appreciated.

Regards,

Bros

Its not a 17". But other than that and the low res its good value.

BostonB wrote:
    Its not a 17". But other than that and the low res its good value.

No, it's not a 17", but, as I plan doing quiet a bit of touring on my motorbike, from a portability point if view, it might be worth the sacrafice.

Has anyone anxiety about spending this kind of money where I but frozen chips???

Bros

• Advertisement

Friend bought two Aldi laptops for the kids about 4yrs ago. One failed after 3yrs and was too expensive to fix, the other is still going. Was almost identical to a Sony I had at the time. Difference was the screen on the Sony was better. I'd say a 15" is too big for touring around.

Currently, I have a Dell Latitude D620 (supplied by work), it has a 15" screen & fits nicely inside my Oxford luggage.

Just saw this on another thread, Decisions, Decisions!!!

http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/BUN-LX.AWP0X.092-316_BUN-LX.AWP0X.092-316/version.asp

Did I see somewhere laptopsdirect had a bad rep for service & best avoided?

Advertisement