Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap way to get to the Georgia game in Bordeaux

Options
  • 03-08-2007 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

so i posted a thread a good while back because i hadnt booked accomadation or flights to this game but i just did it two days ago and it was a total bargain!( thanks to my genuis dad whos a good man for travel bargains).

Flight to Vitoria in Spain with Ryanair, friday the 14th of sept is 14.99e and return is one cent(plus your taxes and all that ****e)

Hire a car from Spain( we've gotten a FFocus for 150e for four days) and drive into Bordeaux, it takes 4hrs.

We're staying in Bordeaux on friday and sat night then driving back to Spain and staying there for sunday night.

the trip in total which includes flights, accom, car hire and match ticket is 260euros each(theres four of going). its unbelievabley cheap compared to what i was going to originally pay!

Should be great craic regardless of what team were playing,
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

This looks brilliant so far, im looking to get a few of my mates on board and do something like this too.

Where did you get the match tickets from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

shoutman wrote:
    This looks brilliant so far, im looking to get a few of my mates on board and do something like this too.

Where did you get the match tickets from?

Depends which game, if its Namibia, there are plenty of spares flying around, might even have some myself, Georgia are fairly hard to come by, thats why I might not be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

only cheap way to get to a world cup game now is to fly into a different city, and get a train or internal flight. Your travel time will go up, but your cost will go thru the floor..

For the French and Argentina game Im doing that, and my travel time is doubled maybe, but Im saving several hundred euro a time :) [and given ryanair fly to an airport 2 hours from paris, the time is not really a factor imho!]

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

JEN K I am doing the same for the Namibia game.

Which car hire company did you use. I am used to Car rental in the South of Spain where you do not pay any excess. The quotes I got had an excess of EUR650+. Last thing I want to deal with in Vitoria airport if I return the car with a damaged wing mirror or scrape on door etc.
    Did you need extra insurance to bring the car into France?

Thanks
    Rover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭JenK

ROVER wrote:
    JEN K I am doing the same for the Namibia game.

Which car hire company did you use. I am used to Car rental in the South of Spain where you do not pay any excess. The quotes I got had an excess of EUR650+. Last thing I want to deal with in Vitoria airport if I return the car with a damaged wing mirror or scrape on door etc.
    Did you need extra insurance to bring the car into France?

Thanks
    Rover

gees your asking me all the wrong questions here!i just booked hertz through ryanair because it was easier than when i went through the vitoria airport site(it had recommended 3 car rental places) the websites were all over the place. so hertz was the handier option, as far as i can make out its full cover. i got a ford focus for 148 for 4days and it will be an extra 15e per day because my driver is only 24. and sure they dont need to know that were driving over the border!but i wouldnt think that would be a problem.

did you read in the paper the other day where it was saying that Bordeaux was only prepared for 10,000 extra fans but then the Mayor of the town admitted they were expecting 40,000. there'll be some que at the bar!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Unfortunately we're not in a position to drive, so we're flying. We've decided to go a couple of days before the game (Argentina game in Paris), and head back a couple of days later. The return flights for the two of us cost 259Euro. Accom. is the expensive bit, but for six nights I think we did pretty well with what we've booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Myself and three mates are flying into Bilbao, with Aer Lingus, renting a car, and driving up to Bordeaux for the two games. We got accommodation about 5km from the stadium, but we are flying in on Saturday 8th, and staying in San Sebastien (in a hostel), and then driving up on the Sunday, and staying in Bordeaux for 2 days, then heading down to Biarritz, and then the next Sunday driving back up for the other game in Bordeaux and going to prob sleep in the car that night.

Cheap option all the way, but a lot of driving, and we still need to sort out the car, this will have to be done this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Beware! All Hertz rentals have a €650 excess on their insurance as do most other rental companies. There is annual excess cover insurance for about £60 sterling from
    http://www.insurance4carhire.com/index.asp?addU=1&refID=449&langID=1&curID=1

This is well worth it IMO (if you anticipate further rentals) as most daily full cover rates from the principle companies average €20 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I'm flying to La Rochelle and driving down for the Georgia game

4 of us going but i have 6 tickets - 2 friends stood me up and i cant seem to get rid of the tickets, got great seats in the purple section and paid extra for them, (twice face value)

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

james ill take them off ya at face value

jeez, i wasn't plannin on taking a cut on them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Im not selling tickets, just notifying people I have 2 spare Namibia tickets.

;)

Im not selling tickets, just notifying people I have 2 spare Namibia tickets.

;)

I like it!

I wish someone would tell me they have spare tickets for Dub Kerry in the GAA!!!

jameshayes wrote:
    jeez, i wasn't plannin on taking a cut on them

i meant that i wouldnt be willing to pay the amount you have paid for them.

im goin to the namibia now instead and also have two spare tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

walshy123 wrote:

im goin to the namibia now instead and also have two spare tickets

i was 1st you fiend!

walshy123 wrote:

Face value is 40euro, i think if i was to sell them i'd let them go for 50each, in the B&S or somethin.. good seats, purple section

Beware! All Hertz rentals have a €650 excess on their insurance as do most other rental companies. There is annual excess cover insurance for about £60 sterling from
    http://www.insurance4carhire.com/index.asp?addU=1&refID=449&langID=1&curID=1

This is well worth it IMO (if you anticipate further rentals) as most daily full cover rates from the principle companies average €20 per day.
    forgive my small brain but what does excess mean?
    i dont drive so ive no idea about cars and insurance and the likes

JenK wrote:
    forgive my small brain but what does excess mean?
    i dont drive so ive no idea about cars and insurance and the likes

excess is the amount you have to pain in the case of a claim. it is common to all insurances, not just motor. so if you crash and €1000 worth of damage is done and your excess is €150.... you will pay 150 and the insurance co will pay 850.

• Advertisement

thanks! il ask my driver to make the special effort not to crash!

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ROVER

JenK wrote:
    thanks! il ask my driver to make the special effort not to crash!

Jen K I am taking out excess insurance from www.carhireexcess.com it costs

€3 per day we are hiring car for 5 days. I think Hertz are charging €15 per day to remove excess. It is advisable to take out this insurance for peace of mind. If you go back to your parked car and the side is taken off it by another motorist on those narrow streets in Vitoria, Bordeaux etc you will have to fork out €650 - €800 to the rental company.

ROVER wrote:
    Jen K I am taking out excess insurance from www.carhireexcess.com it costs

€3 per day we are hiring car for 5 days. I think Hertz are charging €15 per day to remove excess. It is advisable to take out this insurance for peace of mind. If you go back to your parked car and the side is taken off it by another motorist on those narrow streets in Vitoria, Bordeaux etc you will have to fork out €650 - €800 to the rental company.
    cheers Rover, il be doing that so. enjoy the game!

Advertisement