Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Structural Survey

Options
  • 03-08-2007 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭

Guys,

Just wondering if i am buying a second hand house that is 13 years old should i get one? And if i do roughly how much do they cost?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

You're paying several hundred thousand for something. Of course you should get one done. You only have to look at what's happening with Mennolly's homes in Kinsealy and perhaps elsewhere to know how important it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

jdivision wrote:
    You're paying several hundred thousand for something. Of course you should get one done. You only have to look at what's happening with Mennolly's homes in Kinsealy and perhaps elsewhere to know how important it is.

any idea how much they cost?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

jdivision wrote:

That was due to a expansion of a silica gel in the agregate used in the houses. Nothing to do with the design and a what happened was a very rare event.

Get a servey done. Cost between €200 and €500 depending on size, location etc.

A 13 year old home *should* be ok but your bank may probably ask fo rit

• Registered Users Posts: 78,349 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If it has survived 13 years it should be in reasonable condition. However, you are no longer protected by Homebond or the likes, so if you have any concerns get it done. Only an engineer can do a structural survey. Alternatively, have an architect, surveyor or builder look at it and they will be able to tell you if extra inspection is needed.

In addition, check with your mortgage lender / insurer what they want done.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

In the process of buying a 4 year old apartment and I had a survey done on that. As said about you are spending hundreds of thousands on your pad a couple of hundred quid is well worthwhile to ensure you are not getting into a money pit. My survey cost me €380 inc Vat and was well worth it. It highlighted some very minor problems that I can keep an eye on over the years as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement