Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help. buying new laptop

Options
  • 03-08-2007 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

hi again,

ok im stuck on what to get. i have a decent budget of 1800 - 1900 MAX.
    ive been looking at alienware and dell.

so ive decided to forget dell. dont want the hassle if something goes wrong.

so what could i get for 1900.

ive looked at Area-51® m5550 with some decent specs and its about 1900
    this is what i can get.

[1] Area-51® m5550

Display: 15.4" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD with Clearview Technology - Saucer Silver
    Operating System: Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium - English
    Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 2.0GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB
    Graphics Processor : 256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7600
    Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 1024MB
    System Drive: 100GB 7200 RPM SATA with NCQ
    CD/DVD/RW: 8x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24x CD-RW Combo with Nero Software
    Sound Hardware: Intel® High-Definition Audio (24-bit, 192Khz) with surround sound
    Optional Mouse: Logitech® MX™ Revolution
    Warranty: AlienCare 1-Year Free Phone 24/7 and Collect & Return
    Mobile Transport: Alienware® Odyssey Backpack

looks amazing and i like it.

but i also like this

Area-51® m9750

Display: 17" WideXGA+ 1440 x 900 LCD - Stealth Black
    Operating System: Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium - English
    TV Tuner: None
    Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7200 2.0GHz 4MB Cache 667MHz FSB
    Graphics Processor : 512MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 7950 GTX
    Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz - 2 x 1024MB
    System Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 160GB 5400 RPM SATA
    Optical Drive: 8x Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24x CD-RW Combo with Nero Software
    Sound Hardware: Intel® High-Definition Audio (24-bit, 192Khz) with surround sound
    Keypad: Mobile Keypad - English
    Optional Mouse: Logitech® MX™518 Gaming-Grade™ Optical Mouse
    Wireless Network Card: Internal Intel® PRO Wireless 3945 a/b/g Mini-Card
    Bluetooth: Integrated Bluetooth® Device
    Warranty: AlienCare 1-Year Free Phone 24/7 and Collect & Return

can someone tell me whats better? im looking for something i can upgrade easily in the future, and will last with changing times and technology.
    my brother bought a laptop a few months ago, and it seems so outdated already.

please help me i dont know what to do. im going to spain on holiday soon and i really need to order this sometime between now and NOW. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 scooochie4

I dont know much but in terms of specs they both seem very good. Not much difference between the two.

However, a 17" laptop is pretty big!! It all depends on how important the size (and portability) is to you. If you plan on carrying it around every day, the 17" would be a big burden.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ram and hard drives are pretty much the only things that can be upgraded easily. I'd go with the second laptop. The graphics card is far better, it's go a bigger hard drive, integrated bluetooth and I've hear the clearview thing is really glossy and only good when watching movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Ram and hard drives are pretty much the only things that can be upgraded easily. I'd go with the second laptop. The graphics card is far better, it's go a bigger hard drive, integrated bluetooth and I've hear the clearview thing is really glossy and only good when watching movies.

ok, the graphics card in the first will have to do me, ive upgraded to a bigger faster hard drive, and ive added intergrated bluetooth.
    as for the clearview, well ill have to see what its like..

i didnt go with the second one, as its got a delay date until the 3rd of september before they post. :P
    not waiting a month or so!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ok, the graphics card in the first will have to do me, ive upgraded to a bigger faster hard drive, and ive added intergrated bluetooth.
    as for the clearview, well ill have to see what its like..

i didnt go with the second one, as its got a delay date until the 3rd of september before they post. :P
    not waiting a month or so!

Good things come to those who wait as they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The second one is vastly superior for gaming, because of the graphic card. If you any hope of using it for gaming for any length of time buy the 2nd one.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote:
    The second one is vastly superior for gaming, because of the graphic card. If you any hope of using it for gaming for any length of time buy the 2nd one.

QFT.

Advertisement