Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Problem doing my head in!!

Options
  • 03-08-2007 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Ok Guys and Gals

Im looking for some help here please! I have just gotten a Dell Latitude D620, installed OS and apps and everything is going hunky dory except for the wireless. It is an intel wireless card, I have gone to the dell website and downloaded the correct driver, installed it, picked up and connected successfully to my desired network at home.

Howerver I cannot browse the internet even thoug i can run a trace to google.com and it picks up that application updates are available but it wont download them

ALl my devices are installed successfully and I have turned off windows firewall all to no effect...

All help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Are you sure its not set to work offline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 darran_D

Not that I know of but how do I check.

Oh also another laptop can browse through the same wireless connection no probs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭buildabong

I had a similar problem after I rebuilt my laptop, had Ubuntu and XP installed.
    I could connect to my wireless router thru Ubuntu but not XP even though the wireless card seemed to be working okay.
    Anyway after alot of battling I removed the card in Device Manager and reinstalled it. - Worked perfectly after that. :confused::confused::confused:
    @s Windows.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Some of those Dell Latitude Drivers are a real pain in the rear to sort out!! Goto the Dell site and down load each driver for wireless that is listed you your service tag and try them individually. Sometime 2 Dell machines can register the same Card inside but slightly newer so the driver has to be just right ffor them to work. If your still having problems drop me a PM and i'll get it sorted for you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 darran_D

I've been to the dell website and there is a dell WLAN card and the intel one listed. I uninstalled the driver on the laptop and installed the dell one which didnt work as it left a network controller in device manager with no drivers so I uninstalled that one, reinstalled the intel one and it installed fine. Picked up my netowk no problem, connected no problem, can tracert to yahoo.com no problem but it still will not browse...

AAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,287 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I had (i think) a similar problem with the laptop @ work, it could pick up the wireless network but not browse net...

What it turned out to be for me was that the laptop had a static ip address assigned to it, and that was making it not work. I had to change the settings to automatically pick up settings...

Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Right Click on wireless connections -> Properties -> Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Properties and make sure that both "Obtain an IP automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are checked...

Well that's what worked for me anyways, couldn't hurt to try...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

First things first - try connecting directly in with a network cable. If you can browse the net and have no problems whatsoever, it is the wireless settings.

If you have the same problems, then it has to be some sort of security software on the laptop.

Advertisement