Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pa trout and the 25 year insult from beyond the grave

Options
  • 02-08-2007 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭

OK ... Serious post.

After dinner this evening, I was sitting out in the back yard, taking advantage of the sporadic sunshine, when my pleasant reverie was shattered by the realisation of an insult that Pa trout delivered to me over 25 years ago :(

There I was watching my young son, 16 months old, marching along the garden, roaring and grunting, kicking things and idly thinking that he'll make a fine prop one day.

My mind was cast back to the day Pa trout signed me up for rugby, many, many moons ago. He came home from work with a sports bag, ball, and full set of kit, unbeknownst to me.

When Ma trout questioned this sudden investment, despite any obvious interest in the game, Pa trout delivered this line ... the full import of which only hit me today.

In a conspiratorial tone, he motioned towards me and said to Ma trout ... "Wouldja just look at him. Clearly he won't survive by his wits alone!"

I didn't understand it then, and I don't care for it now. Also I am puzzled as to why it took 25 years for me to "get it".:(

Any thoughts, Brothers & Sisters ?

I think I need a pint *wanders off to the bar*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

trout wrote:
    I didn't understand it then, and I don't care for it now. Also I am puzzled as to why it took 25 years for me to "get it".:(

Maybe it took you so long because he was right. He's probably having a chuckle at this thread right now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,334 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

trout wrote:
    Also I am puzzled as to why it took 25 years for me to "get it".:(

Now, Brother Trout, you are a fine upstanding member of the Brotherhood and I have nothing but the utmost respect for you bar your lack of dead animal ingestion...although your frozen fart made up for this a hundredfold....but if it took you 25 years I think Mr Trout Sr. may have been on to something

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

Perhaps you are right Brothers, perhaps you are right.
    Pa trout used to also describe me, rather harshly, as "strong in t'arm, and thick in t'head" ... in what I think is a Yorkshire accent.

He also used to tell me that giraffe's skeletons are made up entirely of elbow joints. Cruel, cruel man.

The only defence I can offer is that for the past 25 years, I haven't been arsed to give the matter any thought. ;)

I think I'll use it as a new catch-phrase though ... :cool:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It appears that Pa Trout, in addition to his infinte wisdom, possessed clairvoyant powers. It's a pity you didn't ever think of asking him what the winning numbers were going to be in last weekend's Lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

• Advertisement

ehhhh ... sorry, I don't get it ..... oh, oh, wait a minute .... nope, still don't get it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

*cough cough*
    Big Hug for Mr Trout.
    *Slinks away*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

To all Boards Members:

Those who have not read of Pa Trouts infinite wisdom, please run a search.

It is comical beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Mear wrote:
    To all Boards Members:

A wise wise man indeed was Pa Trout.. perhaps a bump of the aforementioned thread is in order for the unacquainted..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

I believe so... I may go in search of it now and do a bump.

• Advertisement

sueme wrote:
    *cough cough*
    Big Hug for Mr Trout.
    *Slinks away*

*turns red*
    That's the first time I've been loved up on d'Internet. Thanks :D
    *waves shyly at sueme and slinks away to update the wit & wisdom of pa trout thread*

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Mear wrote:
    To all Boards Members:

Yes there are some brilliant quotes in there that I must steal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Can we deduce from your posts that you are built like the proverbial brick shíthouse??

Can we deduce from your posts that you are built like the proverbial brick shíthouse??
    more like a row of them :(

I prefer the term "fuller figured gentleman" ... or as pa trout would say "built for comfort, not for speed" :rolleyes:

I'm just a little short for my weight ... ideal height to weight ratio demands I become 8 foot 2 ... which isn't likely anytime soon

Advertisement