Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing out a P45

Options
  • 02-08-2007 5:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭

I'm doing up a P45 for an employee being made redundant.

They will receive a lump sum redundancy amount, but is below the taxable limit.

I've come to box on the Taxable Lump Sum Payment. Do I only put in an amount that is above the threshold i.e. in this case ZERO even though the employee did receive money?!?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

Does the following help ?

Where an employee has more than one period of employment with the same employer in the tax year

* The 'Date of Commencement' for the latest period of employment must be completed on the P45

* Only the figures of pay and tax in respect of this latest period of employment with the company should be entered at "(b) If employment started since 1 January last enter Pay and Tax deducted (or Tax refunded) for this period of employment only"

* The Total Pay and Tax from all employments for the period 1 January to the latest date of cessation (including other employers, if any) should be entered on the P45 at "(a) Total Pay & Tax deducted from 1 January last to Date of Cessation"

Example

An employee has worked for 2 periods of employment with the same employer in 2006.

Period 1: 1 January to 25 March 2006
    Period 2: 10 June to 15 September 2006

On 15 September the employee leaves after the 2nd period of employment and the employer completes the P45 as follows:

# Date of Commencement - 10 June 2006 (in DDMMYY format)

# Date of Cessation - 15 September 2006 (in DDMMYY format)

# The employee's Pay figure for the period of employment from 10 June to 15 September only should be entered at "(b) Pay (this employment)"

# The employee's Tax figure for the period 10 June to 15 September only should be entered at "(b) Tax Deducted or Tax Refunded"

# The Total Pay and Tax from all employments for the period 1 January to 15 September (including other employers, if any) should be entered on the P45 at "(a) Total Pay & Tax deducted from 1 January last to Date of Cessation"

The Total Pay figure should include the sum of:

Pay for Period 1: 1 January to 25 March 2006
    Pay details from other employment(s): 26 March 2006 to 09 June 2006 (if any)
    Period 2: 10 June to 15 September 2006

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Thanks, digitally-yours,

I've submitted without including an amount for redundancy as there was not taxable amount.

Advertisement