Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of advice needed please

Options
  • 02-08-2007 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, so i've been thinking for a while that i should get a laptop for college. I'm doing Software Development, heading into 4th year & it would be dead handy to have 1 for my final project and whatever...

My question is where should i be looking for one? At the moment I am just looking, should i stick to dell or try bricks & mortar shops too? (I'm in Cork by the way)

What I'd be looking for is something decent, spending around a grand or so... It would need to be able to handle music & video well, also need to be able to handle lots of programs open at same time, so RAM is important... Also, it would be nice to be able to play newish computer games and stuff, so a semi-decent video card at the least...

Size really isn't a problem, I'm not gonna be using it constantly on the go...

Any pointers of where to look? And any recommendations? Cheers lads...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

i got my bad baby from dell. they arent perfect but if u have a grand to spend id suggest start with the cheap base or look for an offer then add on loadsa ram and anythin else u can afford.
    dont worry too much bout hd space,places usually have good offers n sales,i got a 500 gig hd from aldi and the lil guy has been doin a gr8 job ever since.
    camtec i think they are called usuall have good offers.
    i go to college in carlow and often drop into theyre branch to see wats on offer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭buildabong

looks like an okay Laptop on Ibood today.
    http://www.ibood.com/site/eu/ibood.php

# Brand: Acer
    # Type: Aspire 9112AWLMi
    # Intel Centrino Duo T2250
    # 2MB L2 cache/1.73Ghz/533Mhz FSB
    # Intern geheugen: 2GB DDR2 533/667MHZ upgradeable to 4GB
    # 120GB SATA hard disk
    # Display: 15.4inch WXGA LCD/1280x800 piexel CrystalBrite/16ms response time
    # Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7600 256 MB
    # S-Video/TV-out
    # DVD+/-RW Double Layer
    # WLAN 802.11a/b/g
    # FireWire (iEEE 1394)
    # 5-in-1 card reader
    # 1.3Megapixel camera
    # Build-in Microphone
    # 4 USB 2.0 slots
    # 8cell battery
    # QWERTY layout
    # Microsoft Vista Home Premium(EN)
    # Incl. Norton AntiVirus/CyberLink PowerProducer/NTI CD-Maker
    # Battery Run Time (standard): 2.5 hours (charged for 80% in 1 hour)
    # Dimensions: 358x270x33mm(WxDxH)
    # Weight (incl. battery): 2.98kg
    # Delivery time: 10 days
    # One year International Travelers Sent-in warranty

Price: € 799,00

Advertisement