Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas to Newry - Avoiding the M50

Options
  • 02-08-2007 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I want to travel from Naas to Newry, but wish to avoid the madness that is the M50 but still use as much of the M1 as practically possible.

What is the best route to take to as I'm not sure what link roads have access to the M1. I'm assuming a route along the lines of Maynooth-Dunboyne...after that I'm not sure.

Travel will be probably be on a Monday or Tuesday, in August before schools are back.

Any pointers...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Naas - Kilcock - Trim - Navan - Slane - Junction just outside Drogheda on M1 - Newry is a possibility

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Another is
    Naas
    Clane
    Celbridge
    Leixlip
    Dunboyne
    Ratoath
    Join the N2 and then take a right onto the R152 at Killshane Cross and join the M1 there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Skyhater

Join the N2 and then take a right onto the R152 at Killshane Cross and join the M1 there.
    ....or continue on the N2 until just north of Collon, then take the link road across to the M1. That way you avoid the toll and won't add a whole lot of time to your journey!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Thanks for all the replies.

I take it that all those link roads have direct access to the M1....that was my main problem as I didn't want to end up on a road that went over the motorway and brought me way out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JuJuYNWA

Another is
    Naas
    Clane
    Celbridge
    Leixlip
    Dunboyne
    Ratoath

I would go
    Naas
    Clane
    Maynooth
    Dunboyne
    Ratoath
    Join the N2 and then take a right onto the R152 at Killshane Cross and join the M1 there

Cuts out Celbridge and Leixlip, which can be nightmares. Plus you're doubling back on yourself if you go from Clane to Dunboyne via Celbridge and Leixlip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I want to travel from Naas to Newry, but wish to avoid the madness that is the M50 but still use as much of the M1 as practically possible.

What is the best route to take to as I'm not sure what link roads have access to the M1. I'm assuming a route along the lines of Maynooth-Dunboyne...after that I'm not sure.

Travel will be probably be on a Monday or Tuesday, in August before schools are back.

Any pointers...?

If you are willing to risk some city driving, I'd suggest the following...

N 7 to Baldonnell turn off, onto the Grange/Adamstown road to Lucan. Into Lucan Village, up past Westmanstown and the Garda Club to Clonsilla Rail Station, head to the Blanch centre and across the N 3 towards Tyrellstown. Keep straight up here, you will go through a small roundabout and take exit 2, this road will take you to the N 2 close to the Brock Inn, turn right and you will end up at Kilshane Cross, take a left here and follow the M 1/Airport signs. It may be a little longer than other routes time wise but it cuts out a good deal of the country roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭jkgvfg

I go from Naas to the N32 each day and the M50 is not as bad as one would think these days. It takes 45 minutes at most to get from the Ball to the airport roundabout. I doubt travelling the back roads will be any faster than that. To avoid the Red Cow, you can use the Grange Castle road up to the N4.

Of course, you do have the toll on the M50 as well as the M1, but if time is the priority, I would stick with the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

JuJuYNWA wrote:
    I would go
    Naas
    Clane
    Maynooth
    Dunboyne
    Ratoath
    Join the N2 and then take a right onto the R152 at Killshane Cross and join the M1 there

Cuts out Celbridge and Leixlip, which can be nightmares. Plus you're doubling back on yourself if you go from Clane to Dunboyne via Celbridge and Leixlip.

As per above but cut out Sallins to Clane etc. and go via Straffan to Maynooth and then Dunboyne etc.

Advertisement