Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin Charges

Options
  • 02-08-2007 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

When a house is being rented, who pays the bin charges- the landlord or the tenant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭markpb

That horrible answer... it depends. Some landlords will pay it, some expect their tennants to pay it. Any place I've rented, the tennant had to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

Any house I've rented it's been the tenants responsibility, but when we rented an apartment the landlord paid them probably because they're part of the management fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Its the tenants reponsibility in anywhere i've rented also.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've never paid it, but I've been renting apartments and not houses. I would imagine that in those places covered by a management company you'd be less likely to have to fork out, assuming the owner is paying the management fee (which I hope they'd be obliged to).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

JimiMac wrote:
    When a house is being rented, who pays the bin charges- the landlord or the tenant?
      If you are in an appartment, there is no incentive to save waste as there is a standing charge which is paid out of management charges - landlords pays it.
      If you are living in a house where there pay-as-you-use or polluter-pays bin charge imposed by the council, the tenant determines the amount of waste and in turn the amount of times the bin is put out! - tenant pays

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Any apartments or houses I've rented, I've had to pay. Usually the renter. The purpose of introducing the charges was to incourage people to reduce waste.... and it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

i've been a landlord in the past and didn't charge tenants for bintags (I was staying there myself as well). It's good from the tenants point of view because they're not paying for every household expense the landlord has, but there's no incentive to reduce their waste at all. There was no incentive at all for them to recycle, so everything went into 'landfill' waste - tetrapaks, tins, milk containers you name it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

The tenant is meant to pay but the landlord is responsible to make sure they take care of the waste. So it depends on who you rent to.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

If you are living in a house where there pay-as-you-use or polluter-pays bin charge imposed by the council, the tenant determines the amount of waste and in turn the amount of times the bin is put out! - tenant pays
    [/QUOTE]

I've no problem with the lift charges because I do make the effort to reduce the amount of waste.
    However the standing charge stays the same no matter what, even if I dumped no waste at all. Do you mean the total bill or just the 'lift' charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Total bill I would have thought. Sorry man, you're gonna have to pay ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

JimiMac wrote:
    I've no problem with the lift charges because I do make the effort to reduce the amount of waste.
    However the standing charge stays the same no matter what, even if I dumped no waste at all. Do you mean the total bill or just the 'lift' charges?

The idea is that the "Polluter Pays" principle is to be rolled out across the board- aka you pay for the amount of waste that you produce. Oddly enough- this entirely reasonable principle has been fought hand over foot by quite a few of the councils here- and its only being implemented after EU rulings against Ireland on the matter. The annual levy on top of bin tags- or lifting fees, are all to be gotten rid of, in place of a purely tagged system. They are also to be a lot more strict about what can be binned as household waste- the target being to bring out recycling levels up to European norms (that is the norms of the old EU15.......)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

i lived in flat in dublin but lanlord start asking bin charges. friend of mine live in flat south dublin dont pay charges (include in rent) i think its really depend on landlord if you are renting a place ask before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

JimiMac wrote:
    The standing charge exists because someone has to pay for the bin lorry to drive pass your house even if you have no rubbish, you have the option, and you must pay for that option, or at least you did! (Not sure about the recent EU legislation program). The landlord does not benefit from this option, hence the tenant pays for the option!

Advertisement