Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New road to the border

Options
  • 02-08-2007 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

New road to the border is finished today. Anyone know if it's done the other side of the border too or has that not been finished yet.

Think I'll head up to Newry for a bit of shopping this week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Yep, the road is finished to just south of Newry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Went from Drogheda to Belfast to W5 the other day. Took me 1 1/2 hours. Very impressed. I did notice on the way back a big tail back on the northern side coming to the first newry roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Took me 50 mins to travel 1.4 miles yesterday from the Quays to the roundabout in Newry. They'll have to sort that out. I'll avoid Newry unless I have to go there. It's crazy, the traffic in the town. at 3pm there were tailbacks from Dundalk direction to the roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭ladylorenzo

Yep...same as that. The southern strecth is fantastic and then you hit the Clohoghue Roundabout tailbacks. It really takes the good out of the new road.Why didnt they just build a fly-over the roundabout when they were at it?? Just smells of the Brittish Gov dragging their feet so as to take away from the achievements of the Government here in building such a great stretch of road - it'll put people offf going anywhere near Newry so they're only shooting themselves in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

Awh man i thought it was sorted out. I was intending to go to Newry tommorrow but i really don't want to be in a car for that length of time just for Newry. Nightmare - especially with a baby in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Louth4sam

Haha thats great news, means people will shop in Dundalk instead of Newry. More people shop in Dundalk = More jobs in dundalk = more money in dundalk
    = More people shop in Dundalk = More jobs in dundalk = more money in dundalk
    = More people shop in Dundalk = More jobs in dundalk = more money in dundalk
    = Ah you get the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I don't see the attraction of shopping in Newry anyway. The currency difference usually makes it pointless, and there's the extra hassle of getting pounds or paying commission and fees when using credit cards etc.

That railway bridge is an issue, but they have no choice but to do something about it. It's of little use if people only get to a traffic jam a few minutes faster. And it is indeed a credit to the Govt. to have the foresight to want this road built a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I don't see the attraction of shopping in Newry anyway. The currency difference usually makes it pointless, and there's the extra hassle of getting pounds or paying commission and fees when using credit cards etc.

That railway bridge is an issue, but they have no choice but to do something about it. It's of little use if people only get to a traffic jam a few minutes faster. And it is indeed a credit to the Govt. to have the foresight to want this road built a long time ago.

Are you having a laugh? Newry will still work out cheaper, when I sometimes do some shopping in a bricks and mortar shop, Newry is where I will head. Even if I end up shopping in Debenhams at least I know the extra I'm paying is worth it, I mean it's quite a bit better than shelling out for the crap that Dunnes or Penneys supply - they really are the lowest of the low.

Yup, also agree about the railway bridge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

The currency difference usually makes it pointless, and there's the extra hassle of getting pounds or paying commission and fees when using credit cards etc..

:) You can pay in Euros in most of the large shops in Newry, especially in the shopping centres... they usually display the rates .. last time I was up it they were giving you .66

I wouldn't take Euro cash out of the cash machines though because you will be charged twice i.e. changes your euros into pounds, then pounds into euros .... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

purplegeko wrote:
    Awh man i thought it was sorted out. I was intending to go to Newry tommorrow but i really don't want to be in a car for that length of time just for Newry. Nightmare - especially with a baby in the car.

Its been sorted ... you can travel up the motorway all the way now - just up until you hit where the old first checkpoint (the one for the trucks ) ..then it turns into one lane... but its freeflowing so no worries...best time is early morn to travel up there (better for car/child parking also) ... lunchtimes seem to be very busy....Its great:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Going off topic:

I know about being able to pay in euros there, but that doesn't make any difference for a poor exchange rate.

I've found penneys to be grand tbh.

Funny how there seems to be lots of Northies in the retail park and shopping centres of Dundalk. I suppose they find Dundalk cheaper than NI :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

I don't see the attraction of shopping in Newry anyway.

Well you can get all those things deemed by our wise leaders in Leinster House, too dangerous to buy down south...

Nytol, St. Johns Wort, Ginko Biloba...

Advertisement