Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Tesco Shenanigans

Options
  • 02-08-2007 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭

Saw a Canon IP1300 printer in Tesco today for €34.99 - great price you might think. My Dad was looking for one so I decided to check the cost of the ink later on - went over to the ink section and lo and behold - the prices had been taken off the ink cartridges in question - took one of them to the scanner and it wasn't working - didn't have time to do any further checking but you can be guaranteed those inks probably cost twice as much as the printer. A bit sneaky I thought.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Well you cant say until you actually get a price!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's a well known fact that inkjet printer manufacturers make their money on the sales of cartridges, it's the same with the likes of the big console makers they make their money on the games not the hardware.

it was quite possibly just a conincidence that the price was missing and perhaps the store manager was eager to get these out on the shelves so enqueue a summer worker who bearly gives a **** about what he's doing and doesn't register the barcode on their system hence it not scanning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Cremo wrote:
    it's a well known fact that inkjet printer manufacturers make their money on the sales of cartridges, it's the same with the likes of the big console makers they make their money on the games not the hardware.

it was quite possibly just a conincidence that the price was missing and perhaps the store manager was eager to get these out on the shelves that the barcode wasn't registered on their system hence it not scanning.

It was the same story with two other printers they had on sale hardly a concidence - by the way I've checked this for the past three days - still no prices on any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well that's a vital piece of information you left out tbh, it sort of rules out a mistake tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

If you checked it out for 3 days and you knew it was missing, why didn't you point it out ? Stores can get heavy fines for not havng prices displayed and are regularly brought to court so I think it unlikely that it's done purposely, the cons far out way the pros in doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

eamon234 wrote:
    It was the same story with two other printers they had on sale hardly a concidence - by the way I've checked this for the past three days - still no prices on any of them

How about doing it the old fashioned way and asking one of the staff members there how much it costs?

You don't have to buy the cartridges from Tescos either. There are other suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Well I work in Tescos, (on the hardware section which deals with print cartridges etc in fact). The price tags, (or SEL's as we know them), are frequently missing,unavailable,in the wrong place etc.. It's very hard to keep every SEL constantly updated and in the right place. They just end up scattered etc, and it's quite common for them to be missing for long periods of time... we dont go around just looking for items without one!

I can tell you that your conspiracy theory is almost guaranteed false.. From experience..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Cheap printers == expensive ink. That's always been the case.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

karmabass wrote:
    Well I work in Tescos, (on the hardware section which deals with print cartridges etc in fact). The price tags, (or SEL's as we know them), are frequently missing,unavailable,in the wrong place etc.. It's very hard to keep every SEL constantly updated and in the right place. They just end up scattered etc, and it's quite common for them to be missing for long periods of time... we dont go around just looking for items without one!.

Hmm.. so it's true that little elves come out at night and remove these labels so that Tesco can claim ignorance ?

Surely it's not too hard for them to have someone (maybe another elf) who keeps an eye on shelves and ensures that they adhere to the law or maybe it doesn't apply to Tesco ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

parsi wrote:
    Hmm.. so it's true that little elves come out at night and remove these labels so that Tesco can claim ignorance ?

No, stock just gets moved around alot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement