Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My position in search engines

Options
  • 01-08-2007 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

When somebody searches a keyword on a internet search engine like google, yahoo, etc, etc, how do I move my business up in terms of where it is on the search results?? Is this possible? What is the search result ranking related to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭jellybean520

I'm no expert but I think most people recognise that Google is the de facto standard for searching right now. You can purchase Adwords / sponsored links which will promote your website listing it near the top for most relevant searches. Google charge on a per click basis so your counter decrements each time somebody visits / clicks your site.

https://adwords.google.com/select/Login?sourceid=awo&subid=ie-en-ha-aw&medium=ha&term=web%20site%20on%20google

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 swissalarm

You can also move up the natural results without paying for the pay-per-click ads. Its a long a complicated process, but totally doable if you put the time in. I think this podcast is excellent for beginners

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkCast.jsp?masterId=8524&cmd=tc

and the Irish Webmaster Forum is a mine of info

http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/search-engine-optimisation/

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The ranking algorithm that Google use is reputed to use over 600 different factors.

Without going into too much info, and simply put, the page you want to rank highly should have:

- lots of links to it from many, relevant, external, sites
    - content that is directly relevant to the keyword.

As the guys mentioned above, there's a wealth of information on these topics online. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Alastair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pucka981

There is a number of different factors which determines your rank results in search engines. too much to go into here.
    I work for a large webdesign company in Dublin and one of our areas of expertise is online marketing, PPC, and Search Enginge Optimisation.

If you want me to send over what i have and how to optimise your website yourself to achieve better rankiings in the likes of Google, PM me and i will send it on to you.

Hope this helps,

G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PETESY71

The process you are looking for is SEO....search engine optimisation. Performing SEO on your site, coupled with some Google Adwords, and you should be able to get your site to where you want to be.

On my blog, I have an article explaining exactly how to go about it. Don't click here as I've been banned to read the article.

If you have any other questions, don't let me know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RedCardinal

Trojan wrote:
    The ranking algorithm that Google use is reputed to use over 600 different factors.
    Perhaps not quite 600, but quite a few, and many that go far beyond the average persons comprehension for sure.
    Trojan wrote:
    Without going into too much info, and simply put, the page you want to rank highly should have:

- lots of links to it from many, relevant, external, sites
    - content that is directly relevant to the keyword.
    If I could take just one item with me to SEO desert island it would be backlinks - with the right backlinks you can rank very well for your desired search terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

There are lots of different variables, but some of the simplest to implement are having the key words reflected in relevant text on your homepage. Age of the site and links in from reputable sources all help. Cascading tile sheets and page headers are good. Regular new content on the homepage will mean that Google indexes your site more frequently. Search term directories which link to the relevant sections on the site are also good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Brillo_pad

aim to be the best source of original content in your vertical and ensure the search engines can get at the content and you it will happen for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 black_glass

brillo is right make content your main focus and you should be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

brillo is right make content your main focus and you should be ok

Making content the main focus of his website (if he's not doing so already), is probably the first and most important step towards improving his position on the search engine results pages, but if he doesn't at least follow some other basic SEO practices it could be a long time before he sees his website occupy the top positions on Google or Yahoo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭BRENSH

I think adding it to the likes of YAHOO directory ($200) per year or DMOZ (free) could help you also. Google looks for reputable links to your website.

So if you could spend a bit of your budget on this it would help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gortronovich

You could use www.yellifitchanges.com to email you when your site has changed google page rank or when more sites have linked to you

Advertisement