Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi commission adverts

Options
  • 01-08-2007 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭

Has anyone heard those new adverts for the taxi commission? They say "with the new fare structure and receipts with every journey, there's never been a better time to take a taxi".
    Is the new fare structure the one which put the prices up for everything except for carrying luggage and airport journeys?
    I'd say there has never been a worse time to take a taxi!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

scumbags

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

scumbags

Thanks for that....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

unfortunatley dub13 thats what i think of them reason being is that they are governed by the same set of laws as an ordinary driver but i have never seen a taxi driver obey any rules of the road examples are.
    (1)doing u-turns, streets such as dame street, dorest street.
    (2)going straight where there are either left or right hand turns only , westmoreland street being my main example, left hand lane is for turning onto burgh quay and yet they go straight driving on the meridan in o'connell bridge cutting everyone else up.
    (3) same as above this lane is also a single lane, it doesn't matter how wide it is they are all single lanes, yet they seem to make 2 lanes out of one where ever they can.
    (4) bus stops, all taxi drivers seem to think a bus stop is a taxi rank, that they can just set down there and yet when a bus driver beeps him/her they give the bus driver the two fingers.
    need i go on. there is only one law for taxi drivers and that is "no law"
    thats why i said scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,263 ✭✭✭✭Victor

meridan
    'Median'.

meanmachine3,I agree that the standard of taxi driving in this country is appalling.I think we need a clamp down on them big time.

A lot of people call taxi drivers 'professional drivers' they are not but we still need a higher standard then we are getting at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dub13 wrote:
    meanmachine3,I agree that the standard of taxi driving in this country is appalling.I think we need a clamp down on them big time.

I'm not a fan of taxi drivers but I think that statement applies to every one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dub13 wrote:
    A lot of people call taxi drivers 'professional drivers' they are not
    It depends on your definition of 'professional'. To many people a 'professional driver' is a person who earns a living by driving.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

As a pedestrian of this city, I've found taxis to be far and away the worst offenders for trying to race through red lights as pedestrians are crossing the road...

But on to other concepts: How difficult would it be to implement a system like they do in London, where all Taxi drivers must take tough tests relating to the entire layout of Dublin and are very qualified in what they do?

It depends on your definition of 'professional'. To many people a 'professional driver' is a person who earns a living by driving.

Thats true but the legal definition of a 'professional driver' is someone who is tested above the normal class B license.To drive a taxi you just get tested on your knowledge of the local area nothing more.

In my eyes van & taxi drivers drive for a living were HGV,Bus drivers are 'professional drivers' and the two should not be confused.

Advertisement